Chuck question

rockyrude

Registered
Registered
I picked up a 6" three jaw chuck with a 1-3/4" thread, my lathe is 1-1/2, can I just bore it out for an insert and rethread the insert?

That would be a thin insert, I don't think it would work; are the chucks made with a removable backplate?, if so, a new backplate would be the way to go.

The back plate is 4-1/2 diameter, can't seem to find one that size. I am thinking boring to 2"which I think would be enough " meat"

c
The back plate is 4-1/2 diameter, can't seem to find one that size. I am thinking boring to 2"which I think would be enough " meat"
[/QUO
I would buy a rough cast or semi finished backplate and machine it to fit. Or I might make a pattern and have some cast by a iron foundry.

I picked up a 6" three jaw chuck with a 1-3/4" thread, my lathe is 1-1/2, can I just bore it out for an insert and rethread the insert?
might be easier to find a 6" 3 jaw with 1 1/2 thread

The question would be what size back plate can be used on it, if it requires a 4 1/2" then get a semi-finished 5 or 6" and turn it down to the spec you need and drill/tap for the chuck. Using a double threaded adapter/spacer is most likely going to introduce a lot worse TIR at the end of the day.

Back