Chuck R8 Shank Removal

Keep an eye on ebay. These chucks do come up new from time to time. My last brand new Albrecht cost $85.00 and my brand new Rohm Spiro cost $75.00. Both 1/2" chucks retail for close to $300.00. I do have to admit that my eBay-Fu is pretty good, though.
I would like to have a good 1/2" chuck. I have two PM 5/8", one with MT3 for my tail stock and the R8 for mill. They do not close to zero. Then some junk for drill press. I will see how my eBay Fu is. If you are no longer in the market and see one shoot me a message.

It's only 9:12 pm in Hawaii. I'm a big boy now so I get to stay up as late as I want! ;)

I am going to send you a PM so I can remember who to contact when I find a good chuck. It can take some time but when I see one, we have to jump fast.

That's a good idea. Do you think the R8 will be very hard? I'll try turning a couple thousands over first. I have a DIY tool post grider. My plan is to mount a piece of 5/8" drill rod in the PM chuck and center it in the tail stock with the R8 in the lathe chuck. It's a risk I'm willing to take. It's no use to me as it is.

I don't think that the R8 is very hard. At least not hard enough to require a grinder.
If it is of no use to you as is then why not get some experience from it and turn it?
I have converted some tapers by turning them with no problem.
With the 5/8 drill rod in the PM chuck and held in the lathe chuck (or collet), a live TS centre in the small end of the R8 arbor, you should have room to cut the taper down to whatever you want.

Keep an eye on ebay. These chucks do come up new from time to time. My last brand new Albrecht cost $85.00 and my brand new Rohm Spiro cost $75.00. Both 1/2" chucks retail for close to $300.00. I do have to admit that my eBay-Fu is pretty good, though.
More like 'stellar'.

I don't think that the R8 is very hard. At least not hard enough to require a grinder.
If it is of no use to you as is then why not get some experience from it and turn it?
With the 5/8 drill rod in the PM chuck and held in the lathe chuck (or collet), a live TS centre in the small end of the R8 arbor, you should have room to cut the taper down to whatever you want.

Yeah, I would think it is hard, but things like that tend to be only 'mildly hard', like 40-some rockwell. You should be able to cut it in the lathe with some slightly slower feeds/speeds. If you're using carbide and get your F&S rigiht, it should cut no-problem.

I don't think grinding would be necessary if the finish is good. Might even help it stay in the collett. However, it won't hurt and all the TTS adapters are ground. Turning alone can't get anywhere close to the finish I get with the DYI grinder when I manage to get it mounted solid. Need to do more on the mount.

And I should say that my lathe is undergoing a major CNC conversion which was delayed two months for an X axis ball screw and nut that will be here this week. So it may be a few weeks before I can do this R8 mod. Stay tuned.

Back