Chuck's blast cabinet HEPA dust collection system For under $100

Thank you very much!

That "tip" is going to come in real handy if I get that blast cabinet I want for Christmas. (I think my wife was asking "innocent" questions about a cabinet she saw for a reason. ;))

-Ron

I think this is the best setup I have seen using the Dust Deputy. I have looked at them before and wondered if they would stand up to the blast grit. I use black diamond brand non silica media. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200022824_200022824?cm_ven=google_PPC&cm_cat=Dynamic%20Campaigns%20Tracking&cm_pla=&cm_ite=_cat:Abrasives&mkwid=ssjFB5YjL&pcrid=15614378231&mt=b

I know the glass bead is not quite as abrasive. Anyone have experience on how the Dust Deputy holds up to abrasive? After seeing this set up I think I will go this rout rather than build one from scratch out of sheet metal.

Jeff

Thanks for the idea Chuck. Santa brought me a dust deputy for Christmas :))

Kevin

Inspired by your post I finally got my Dust Deputy hooked up.

100_8111.JPG

Not nearly as cool as your set up but it seams to work well. I am cleaning the vac filter about every 5 hours of blasting. Up from every 30 min with out the Dust Deputy. Thanks for your post.

Jeff

100_8111.JPG

View attachment 46180

Not nearly as cool as your set up but it seams to work well. I am cleaning the vac filter about every 5 hours of blasting. Up from every 30 min with out the Dust Deputy. Thanks for your post.

Jeff

As long as it works Jeff. Looks like you use yours quite a bit. I use mine in spurts, sometimes allot then none for awhile.

View attachment 46180

Jeff
Chuch,
What is the white pipe, above the window, with row of holes for?
Ken

Thanks Kennyd for posting. Like the post says its to keep the window from fogging from my breath when blasting for longer periods. Since the original post I have done several marathon blasting sessions and it was well worth doing the fan. Now with the dust collection I can blast for hours without having to stop to clean the window so I can see. I also made the window 12" tall which is the size of common glass shelving like they use in stores. I find it all the time at yard sales and thrift shops. Never pay more than $0.25 a shelf, most of the time I get 2 windows per shelf. The racks they go on often get broken or unusable so people get rid of the shelves. They are around .250" thick with polished edges. I just make one cut to get the length and I have a new window. When I am done with the window I put it back in the blaster and frost the side that is chipped from it being a window. Then I give it to a friend who makes window hangings with the frosted glass. No waste :)

Jeff

That is a really nice setup. Thanks for sharing.
I am wondering if a cut off traffic cone might be used to build a Dust Deputy clone for this project?

That is a really nice setup. Thanks for sharing.
I am wondering if a cut off traffic cone might be used to build a Dust Deputy clone for this project?

Google: traffic cone dust collector
There are at least a couple examples.

Ken

Back