Chucks??

Rohm d1-5 direct mount are very nice. Very very nice and super duper cheap.

I think chucks are like milling machine vises. They are what determines the accuracy of your work so you may was well use a good one. I own chucks from Pratt Burnerd, Yuasa, Rohm and used to own a Samchully chuck and all are excellent chucks. I do not own Chinese or Taiwanese chucks so I have no idea how good they are. If I could only have one chuck it would be either a Pratt or a Rohm chuck. Either will likely last you a lifetime.

When I decided to spend the money for a Taiwan lathe, it seemed really stupid to start pinching pennies on the important stuff like the chuck, the tool post, and other stuff like live centers and whatnot. I kept picturing in my mind a Mercedes with a Chinese motor shoved in it. ;)

Yeah, I bet they're super duper cheap ... :)

I spent somewhere in the vicinity of $1600 or more on my PBA and backing plate, and IIRC a comparable Rohm was several hundred dollars more. I waved the surrender flag and settled on the PBA. :)

I spent somewhere in the vicinity of $1600 or more on my PBA and backing plate, and IIRC a comparable Rohm was several hundred dollars more. I waved the surrender flag and settled on the PBA. :)

I have Rohms (4 of them) and a PB chuck and all are extremely fine chucks. You settled on price, not quality. I now have a PB 6 jaw set-rite that I think is amazingly good and I got it largely through your influence, Bill.

I bought a brand new Rohm D1-5 direct mount that was old stock. It would be interesting to find out how this guy got his hands on it. Came in the original box and all. I bought for basically nothing. I attribute that to the D1-5. My lathe now is a D1-4. I've realized once again how unpopular D1-5 mounts are.

I have Rohms (4 of them) and a PB chuck and all are extremely fine chucks. You settled on price, not quality. I now have a PB 6 jaw set-rite that I think is amazingly good and I got it largely through your influence, Bill.

I decided on the price because I figured the quality was good enough for me. Or did I misunderstand? :)

From your given choices, my opinion on order of preference would be:

1. Pratt Burnerd
2. Bison
3. TMX current (older TMX chucks were China)
4. Gator
5. Buck

Yep, @darkzero's ranking is just about right... except Buck needs to head north by two positions. I love my PB 6-jaw, everything else feels chunky in comparison now. Of course, it's hard to go wrong with a list like this.

Back