Cincinnati Lathe Identification And Preparation

I didn't want you guys to think I gave up so here's an update. Between soaking and sandblasting parts I'm making some headway. QCGB and carriage are still untouched for now, I have enough parts laying around. I layed primer on most of the smaller parts for the base and chain guard and started laying paint on a few of them. Sand blasting the bed is quite the task. Being careful to avoid critical machined surfaces has been pretty easy but the years of filth are putting up a good fight. It's still not finished because I ran out of nozzles last weekend. Got nozzles this week and I'm good to go again. I'll get some pics and post them soon.

IMG_1996.JPG IMG_1998.JPG IMG_1997.JPG Sorry it took so long to get some pictures. I've been sandblasting at the pole barn and painting the smaller stuff at the house. They're only a 10 minute ride apart but nothing is every where I need it to be. I just switched out the was painted for the needs painted parts so it took a bit to prime and paint them, especially when I put a 16 hour day in yesterday with 10 hour days being the norm. Here's some of the freshly painted parts. From top to bottom are the legs at the tailstock end, front motor louver, headstock cover.

Still remaining to finish sandblast are the headstock, part of the bed, QCGB, carriage assembly, & some of the base for the headstock end.

I'm gonna try to get the base and the bed done soon. It'll help keep the shop more organized and the hard to move parts will be out of the way then. After they're done I can paint and assemble as I have time. I figure I'll sandblast, paint, & wash down the headstock in that order so I can remove any stray media without any rusting issues or having to clean oil off the casting

Ran out of sand the other day. I picked up some more but spare time is few and far between. Archery season has started and I have to rebuild a Ford Exploder transmission. I need to take care of that before the snow starts flying. I'm getting there but it's slow going.

Hi, my brother-in-law acquired similar (if not the same) Cincinnati lathe and we couldn't indentify a model or serial. The lathe is the one shown in this first image:

5bc22c16-870c-4144-905a-3a5e2f2f9d21.jpg
The problem is that when we make screws, the threading seems to be different according to the thread pitch gauge (as seen on the second image).82d0bbb9-ff88-4252-ab36-32c95b298e0e.jpg
As far as we know, the gears (shown in the third image and circled with blue) that can make this threading are not the originals and maybe they're the root of this problem.

fd5308d3-f4ba-4fbe-b7c9-a6c8a69914d6.jpg

So, the question here is: is there a possibility that someone knows about the gear model so we can get a spare part? or the correct number steps for the gear so we can design and manufacture one? We hope someone in this forum can help us, we'll really appreciate any help or information.

Thanks in advance!

Can’t help with the model of the lathe, but the latter Cincinattti tray top Manual I’ve been working with says to change out those gears to cut metric threads. So am wondering if your gears are actually for metric threads?

Glenn

@chametl,

First, Welcome to the Hobby-Machinist!
It's great to see you jumping into discussions.

I think Glenn might be right.
Do the threads you cut match a metric thread pitch?
Have you found a manual for your machine, or a similar one?
You'll probably find that the quick-change gear box(QCGB) ratios are common across multiple machines.
This means that the change gears on the headstock will also be common.

We have a section for Cincinnati manuals here: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/categories/cincinnati-except-grinders.30/

In particular, check this manuals to see if you can find the original gear ratios:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/cincinnati-traytop-lathes-manual-pdf.2039/

Does the plate on your lathe list the same thread cutting range as in those manuals?

If you post the teeth counts of every gear from your spindle to the QCGB input shaft, we might be able to help more.
Especially for the two gears that might not be original.
The tooth count is usually marked in the numbers on the side of the gears.

-brino

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your information Glenn, Brino.

I've been checking the manuals and they're for other lathe model. As far as I know, the manual that works with our lathe is the one shown in the imagen.

2220f5d6-a321-42ea-936a-a99e35fdb5fa.jpg

The screw we were trying to do was standard, but both standard and metrical do not match with the thread pitch gauge. We want to change the gears, make new ones, so we need information about the diameter and number of teeth required to make both kind of screws. This is the plate in our lathe.
ecaebf59-e8a6-497a-b8dc-7e1ed011ef69.jpg
I hope someone has more information.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Back