Cincinnati No 2 Tool Cutter Grinder - let the fun begin!

Well the first order of repair went well. I made up a 90 support bracket out of some 5/8 thick 6x6 angle iron so I could mill up the welded bracket at 90 degrees:

IMG_3628.JPG

The one face is not done yet - I just left it flat and not slotted for this part of the project. The edges have not been finished either as you can tell from the orange paint.

The set up on the mill went well - essentially I stacked a bunch of 123 blocks together and secured the welded end - I then set the plate witha couple more blocks against the plate and the machined surface of the angle bracket. That all got clamped and secured to the table:

IMG_3624.JPG

Prior to boring the angle bracket I faced it off (about 0.020") to flat. This is the surface that rides on the work head so now it is 90 degrees to the machined bottom (clamped to the angle plate) Before boring I also used a 1/2" carbide end mill to clean up the welds so that the boring bar just had the finish cutting. I also used a 1" end mill to bore out the center hole and 3/8" end mill to clean up the two other bolt holes. The center bolt allows for tilting of the working head and the two other screws locate the adapter plat to the work head. This may have been made by someone else so if required I could machine a new one - it works fine now though.

After one side was completed I flipped the assembly using the table to clamp down the angle head and then the angle bracket arrangement with the 123 blocks:

IMG_3625.JPG

The final fit up was good! I will be making a new backing washer as the original homer needs to be thicker:

IMG_3627.JPG

A few small weld voids but I am all good with the out come.

Pulled off the saddle today and the ways look pretty good. No deep scoring. The feed nut is toast. Must be original as it is a piece of cast iron. The treads are as sharp as a serrated knife - including the serrations. I will be thinking about a couple options....bore it out and press/shrink in a bronze ACME threaded liner or........two piece it by chopping off the nut end and making a solid bronze.....hmmmmmm .... there is not a lot of material......

IMG_3629.JPG

The ways on the base:

IMG_3631.JPG

Lots of cleaning on the go and stripping paint. Princess auto screwed up my order for some cold rolled steel rod (won't deliver and local folks are out of stock) so I will hope for Monday and a chat with one of the metal suppliers to see if I can have a few odds and sods pitched to me as I drive by.

Side tracked "squirrel" for a bit and making a tool box door our of aluminium plate for a Starrett (AKA Kennedy) tool box and cutting out wood beams. Who looses theses doors? LOL ......

I have to check on my primer supply so I can start the spray process as parts get stripped and cleaned up. Super cool as this machine is 100% Imperial and no stupid weird metric crap blended in to the works......don't get me wrong...metric for science is great but I find it very lacking for certain things. I have the tools to remake the parts that need it....all is good.....

Hope everyone is feeling well.........more to come...Oh - I sprayed all the bare metal surfaces with a silicon spray as we are supposed to get a major rain storm ....ugh!

Good luck getting paint to stock to anything after spraying silicone all over it.

@lanagos I will all get a wash down with solvents that will keep paintable surfaces good to go. Just protecting the bare metal.

From experience it’s pretty difficult to get off with solvents. Just take special care later on.

do you have much tooling with the machine, I scrapped one and still have some tooling.

Hi @benmychree I have some tooling with it. The work head is a 50 taper and I have a collet adaptor for OZ32 collets but only 2 collets (1/2 and 1/4”). I have some other 50 taper to standard diameter for saws and bigger mills. It came with the centres, a vice attachment, a motor driven spindle, a couple grinder shields. If you have some stuff and you can PM me perhaps there are some items I will need. I am in the stages of figuring out exactly what I have to work with.

Too bad I didn’t catch you before the scrapping as I need the one double helix gear from the slow feed gear box assembly.

Today I pulled apart the work head and cleaned out all the grinding dust and paint that was covering the scales. - I will post some pics tomorrow.

@DavidR8 here is the link - as is typical McMaster does not provide the supplier details, but this is what I got. I signed up for McMaster about 15 to 20 years ago - can't remember..... so I will buy stuff and just have it come to work on my credit card.

Our CAD is in the bottom of the dumpster right now so it is a costly purchase - You may be able to find it in Canada at a welding supply cheaper? or at least not subject to the brutal shipping.

I now have to mill up a bunch of 90 degree angle plates etc for holding the projects to my mill table properly....hahaha - more fun!

I found all the bushings I need for the Cincy at Princess auto so that is cheap. I will also remake the spindle for the slow feed as it is 0.750 rod (not hardened) and I found the right woodruff key cutter in my assorted bits :)
I got a quote from Canada Welds for the cast iron MIG wire. $138 CDN for a 2lb spool!

@DavidR8 - yes, not cheap. Our Canadian dollar being so low is a big killer for lots of things. Shopping for some parts is crazy. The belt for the Cincy is almost $200 - that is like 40% of the machine cost - hope to find one a bit less costly. Got a nice piece of 3/4 4140 today so all the shafts can get remade as required.
43FB9F28-699B-416C-8E1B-8BCE50E8835A.jpeg
6576DF09-3081-42B1-8649-74F5212AC494.jpeg
7A151E3D-B22B-4B1C-BD2C-E03E7D0A83DE.jpeg
The pictures above are the work head all masked up and sprayed with primer. I use the “farm and implement” paint from TSC stores. Seems to hold up well for tooling and machines. The third pic is the internal spindle - one side facing down is the 50 taper and the other is a 12 Brown and Sharpe.
The bearings looked good - not much lubricant though. The top collar/labyrinth seal was missing a set screw to properly locate the collar. When it was apart I realigned the collar and added a set screw with a dab of 242 Loctite.
One of the cool parts is my youngest boy (14) has been out the last two days stripping paint and helping me in the shop :)

I also got the tool box door almost done - just a few holes left to drill and find one of those spring balls for the catch.
8345EA34-D0F8-4076-94CF-BD47BAF0100C.jpeg

Lots of paint stripping, cleaning and then masking and taping parts for paint. Sprayed a bunch of pieces today.IMG_3661.JPG

IMG_3660.JPG

IMG_3659.JPG

IMG_3663.JPG

biggest challenge with this beast is the shear weight of everything. It was a beauty day so got the saddle painted outside. My spray gun was having some issues ({watch who you lend things too) so I had a flood going on at one point and a gasket in the cup seal blew out mid paint - nice mess.....in the end I got'er coated and should be able to start putting things back together in a bit. The base - I have to borrow my neighbours pallet cart to get that sucker outside for a spray.

The next mission is to collect the missing springs and balls that caused some issues - Amazon is on a Covid slow down so that will slow me down ...... I have some other items to make in the mean time like a new saddle cross feed nut and a few shafts. More on those to come as things get completed.

Have a tire support hanger to build for a buddy and a couple coffee tables so will see what we can pump out.....

Back