circa 1960? lehmann lathe

wrenchbender

Active User
Registered
I looked at a lehmann lathe today it seems to 1960s vintage. it shows some age and and repainted at least once.
what I know about it is 1 3\4" spindle bore, 10" 3 jaw chuck, 12" 4 jaw, has a taper attachment, thread gauge, power cross feed, 9" chuck center to bed. 5 hp. 220 single phase.ways looked good for their age. shows some minor nicks and crapes near the spindle end.
If i can swing the deal I will be turning flywheels and the like for semi tractor trailers and ag equipment
it is advertised for $4500 I offered $2200

so what do you guys think of the lathe

i will be going back tomorrow to run a few cuts and if i remember i will be taking some pics.the spindle bearings are tight, i checked them w. a dial indicator and a bar. i have a 50 amp welder circuit.

Those calculations are close enough, with only a little fudge factor built in. I would not put it on a 55A breaker, however. 30A would be right. Of course, there are arguments against shared circuits like knudsen suggested, but it is commonly done. You do have less protection with a larger than required breaker, but it will run, and if there is a major problem, chances are that a 55A would trip quickly enough. You should have overcurrent protection in the motor starter anyway.

Back