Ckeaned my gears ob a Craftsman 6x18 lathe.

pipehack

Active User
Registered
Cleaned my gears ob a Craftsman 6x18 lathe.

I picked up a Craftsman 6x18 lathe. #101.21400. The person I got it from husband was a wood worker. It was packed with saw dust. I took the gears off today and cleaned them in diesel fuel. It's the cheapest parts cleaner that I can find. I reassembled it and started to use it. when I engage the lead screw it sounds like a gear drive off of a hot rod. It didn't do that before. I took a picture of it before I disassembled it so it's together the right way. What's the hub bub? Did I do something wrong? Is this normal. I don't think so. It's oiled with some 50 weight because that's what is on hand. I stopped using it for the evening and just looking for some answers. Thanks folks. Bill.....Pipehack

you took off the nice wood dust that kept it quiet..

Likely too loose or tight. I found that I had to play a bit with the lash to make the gear train a bit quieter. It will never be quiet! Grease will work but clean up is longer but oil is messier as it will sling off at the higher RPMs.
Pierre

You could check the gap between the screw gear and the next one up the banjo from it. Sometimes they're a bit close together so the sides of the gear teeth kind of gnaw at each other as the gears rotate. Mine does occasionally, slightly oversized hole in the gear allows it to wobble ever so slightly.

Check the clearance first, but if the lathe has had much use, the gears might have developed a wear pattern. Carefully inspect them to determine the existing wear face and reinstall them accordingly.
This happened to me once. I stripped a tooth off the main gear on my Logan and a kind person on the Logan Yahoo site sent me a replacement from his parts box. It HOWLED so bad I had to buy a new one. It turned out the used gear was worn tapered ever so slightly.

Thanks guys. Toolmaster. I think you may be right. I'll check everything again. Lathe is I pretty decent shape. The gal I got it from, husband was a wood worker and I believe he turned wood on it. I'm slowly taking a little then using it. I'm having a terrible time getting any kind of decent finish on anything I turn. I'm making some weld in bungs for my motorcycle. Looks like Ray Charles used a beaver to cut it.

Gears are made of a type of metal called zincalloy they will wear out fast if they are not lubed with a grease with carbon added.You can make this grease yourself by taking a wheel bearing grease and adding some carbonblack such as the type used for common locksets . Most hardware stores carry this, comes in small tube. or you can shave up a bunch of pencil lead.. messy but will keep your lathe running quite and a lot less wear.
William

Bill,
When I first got my lathe I had a terrible time getting anything resembling a decent finish. I later determined that was due to several reasons. Firstly, I hadn't properly leveled the bed on my lathe. Secondly, I was using second hand tools that weren't as sharp as they could be. And third, speed/feed rates,depth of cuts, and those areas I'm really lacking in experience with much much more to learn. Of course there are a variety of other potential causes, but I would start there.

Terry

Not familiar with your particular lathe, but am with others of the same type, such as Logan, etc.

Other than the play between gear teeth being too tight or too loose, it is also possible that you installed one or more gears backward, that is the gear flipped over so what was facing the headstock is now facing the cover. If the shafts are just a bit misaligned, a wear pattern was established from previous use. Flipping the gear over will make all kinds of noise because of the offset in the wear pattern.

Gears are made of a type of metal called zincalloy they will wear out fast if they are not lubed with a grease with carbon added.You can make this grease yourself by taking a wheel bearing grease and adding some carbonblack such as the type used for common locksets . Most hardware stores carry this, comes in small tube. or you can shave up a bunch of pencil lead.. messy but will keep your lathe running quite and a lot less wear.
William

Talking about Graphite there buddy.

Jeff

Back