Clamp storage

FLguy

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Extremely limited in storage space. So many small to medium size c-clamps and Kant- twist clamps too. Don't like stacking them on top each other so I sure would like seeing some ways you store yours. Don't want to hang them from the walls of my bedroom shop and doing it in the garage in Florida, I would have to grease them or have rust. Ideas please.

I clamp all mine to my welding table. That way they are ready to use and easy to find.

I repurposed some shelf supports to make a portable clamp rack. Don't have my Kant-twist clamps on it, but have room for them. Those set in a drawer at my weld bench and in a drawer of toe clamps in a tool box by my mills. You can never have too many clamps.

Bruce

At work I have one like Bruce except one-sided. Same method of storage, but it leans against the wall instead of free-standing.
My home shop is in my basement with fairly low ceilings, so I have all my clamps hanging from them. Naturally not in the middle of the room, but over top of bench or other storage space where I'm not going to be walking anyway. Any really specialized clamps usually live in a drawer or cabinet where they can be retrieved for the one or two times per year they might get used.
Sorry about the photos -- in addition to low ceilings the lighting kind of sucks in places too!

-frank

I clamp all mine to my welding table. That way they are ready to use and easy to find.
Same here. I have a bar running from one leg to the other and the clamps hang from the bar.

There is no such thing as "too many" clamps. I have a combination shop, both the heavy machines and a model building/electronics bench. I use many yards of the wire shelving made for closets to store "stuff" on.
And my clamps, and pliers, and anything else that will hang along the front, turned down, edge. Vise grips hang from a long piece of sheet metal fastened to the wall and kicked out at the bottom. "Carpenter" clamps hang from wife's metal shelves, we share them. I have dozens of "clothes pin" clamps that have a vertical board for them. Small at one end, large at the other.

What it comes down to is that each individual shop is just that, individual. Your clamps need to be located where they are handy for what you do. Advice is just like @$$holes, everybody has one and most of them smell pretty bad. Some of the ideas here are very good, but they won't work in my shop. I could go on and on about why, but it would chew up too much time and space. Many of my clamps can not be used for welding, they're plastic. Welding clamps that are useless for woodworking are out in the barn with the welder and torch. Everything pretty much where it's used the most. Give it some thought.

I'm getting close to having too many:big grin:
I've thought about a solution like Bruce's, I just dont have the floor space. I might end up doing a rack or stacking racks against the wall for all the pipe/bar clamps. Spring, c's and Visa grip clamps may need another option.

Back