Classic 9" South Bend vs. Asian 9 x 20

I have an Enco 9x20, which essentially the same as the Grizzly G4000. It is a fine small lathe, it has some issues, but there is an active community who have found DIY solutions for most.

I don't have a South Bend 9 for direct comparison, but I do have an Atlas Craftsman 6x18 and a Logan 11x24. I'd consider the Craftsman at least equal in most regards other than capacity and superior in several areas. It has a backgear, which allows a larger range of speeds (16) and significatly more lower speed options. Despite the size difference, by weight they are only about 100lbs apart.

I'm not suggesting you get a 6" lathe, as 2-1/2" inches of swing is significant. I provide the comparison, because everywhere the Craftsman is better, a 9" Logan or South Bend will be even further ahead.

Assuming it is in good condition, most vintage 9" lathes will be much better. They were far more expensive machines when new, greater mass, more features and designed to meet a higher standard.

An area a 9x20 wins is they are not 50-80 years old, with decades of potential wear and abuse. They are also readily available (just order one). If size / weight is a concern the 9x20 wins here as well. Most vintage lathes have rear mounted motors which makes them very deep, a SB9 requires a bench about twice as deep as the 9x20 (around 38" vs 22" as I recall). The 9x20 has a slightly smaller foot print than my 6x18 Craftsman.

So what's the difference between a gear head lathe, presumably a Grizzly G4000, and a lathe with back gears? I assumed they were functionally equivalent.

9x20 is a belt drive like the SB.

Think of a back gear as a transfer case. When you put it in low gear you get around a 4-1 advantage, much slower and a lot more torque.

I know what back gear is, but I had assumed the 9" china lathes had geared headstocks like my 8.5" Harbor Freight.

I have a 1941 SB9 4 1/2 foot bed and a Select Machine 8x16 Tiawan lathe from around 1979. I can't make a comparison with the newer Asian lathes. The weight of the little 8x16 is close to 300 lbs. The weight of the SB is around 100 lbs heavier. The SB is much stiffer and runs very smoothly. The back gear is great giving me low speeds like around 60rpm with high torque. Both lathes have 1 1/2-8 spindles.

The Select lathe has a backgear set-up that works great as well; however, lowest speed is around (edited) 90 (edited) rpm. It has a big plus of hardened bed ways.

I don't know whether I would be ok with no backgear set-up on the newer Asian lathes. Hard to say without ever using except the mini 7x's. Of course, the quick change gear boxes on both the lathes are great to have, and appear to add significantly to the price of the newer Asian lathes. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Can you post a photo of the Select lathe puleez. My lathe is an 8 x 18 or an 8.5 x 16 but in teality an 8.5 by 14.5. Depends who you ask. They were making my lathe in the 70s (the notorious BV20). But yours sounds different.

Looking to hear from people who have extensively used both.

Here I'm talking about the old venerable model C say. Or B or A. It's not so much about features (an A has QC gears), but about overall accuracy and such. Granted a Asian 9 x 20 has higher speeds in it's favor. Each has it's plusses and minusses. Yeah all that. Please discuss.

It might be that 9 x 18s are more in vogue, don't know. I'm interested in the grizzly/enco/Harbor Fright 9 x 20 though.

Ok looked it up. Grizzly is selling the G4000 9 x 19 for about 1700 usd. Not sure if it's different from thw previous green ones.
The 9A South Bend is best .
But it weigh is from 350 to 700 pounds. The next most South Bends are old . I just sold my old 9A for $1,500 it is 75 years old. Needed cleaning after 20 years of use. A 9A in like new fully tool is over $6,000.00.

After 60 years with South Bend I switch to mini lathe to save space and weight. It made China like anything from China you finished your self

Dave

Last edited:
You say the SB is stiffer, but it's bed is probably 2' longer then the Select. I would have guessed the opposite.

Back