Clausing 100 Mk3 gear chart

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
On Friday I'm looking at a Clausing 100 Mk3 without the QCGB. The seller says there are some change gears. I see from the manual that the full count is 12 gears. What I can't find is an image of the gear chart off the change gear cover so that I can see which gears are required to the threads I'd typically cut.
If someone has a shot of the gear chart I'd be mighty grateful.
Here's a shot of the lathe.
Clausing_front.jpeg

I tried to post the PDF file with manual on these lathes but said file is too large. I do not know if cut and paste works on PDF files, but I will try. Hopefully you can expand these pictures and get what you need. Both of these pictures are for the Standard lathe which means Non Quick-change gears. I believe Standard is what you have.

Attachments

• IMG_1137.JPG
    IMG_1137.JPG
    582.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1138.JPG
    IMG_1138.JPG
    618.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I tried to post the PDF file with manual on these lathes but said file is too large. I do not know if cut and paste works on PDF files, but I will try.

Can you PM it to me?

Here's a different copy that is a little better......
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=4657
but the handwriting on the cover hints that it is serial number specific somehow.
Brian
Thanks Brian, appreciate that.
The chart that I'm looking for is not in the manual. It's riveted onto the gear cover on the 100 lathe. It will list the change gears and the necessary positioning to cut various thread pitches.

Thanks Brian, appreciate that.
The chart that I'm looking for is not in the manual. It's riveted onto the gear cover on the 100 lathe. It will list the change gears and the necessary positioning to cut various thread pitches.

That must have been some heavily classified information. ;)

I've poked around my usual sources of old machine stuff and can find several examples showing the plate for the QCGB selections, but not one showing the plate for a change gear model. How annoying that they didn't feel this info was useful to duplicate in the manual.

However page 13 of the manual I posted in the other thread shows the change gears it should come with so you can at least check that you have a full set with it.

12 total 2x 32, + 1ea 36, 40, 44, 46, 48, 52, 54, 56, 60, and 64.

Clausing is supposed to be pretty good about supporting the older machines. Plate is probably not available, but they may have that info stashed away. Lacking that I'm sure we have a change gear wizard here that can help you re-create a list of the combinations to do the threads you need.

That must have been some heavily classified information. ;)

I've poked around my usual sources of old machine stuff and can find several examples showing the plate for the QCGB selections, but not one showing the plate for a change gear model. How annoying that they didn't feel this info was useful to duplicate in the manual.

However page 13 of the manual I posted in the other thread shows the change gears it should come with so you can at least check that you have a full set with it.

12 total 2x 32, + 1ea 36, 40, 44, 46, 48, 52, 54, 56, 60, and 64.

Clausing is supposed to be pretty good about supporting the older machines. Plate is probably not available, but they may have that info stashed away. Lacking that I'm sure we have a change gear wizard here that can help you re-create a list of the combinations to do the threads you need.
Thanks Aaron, appreciate it!

I did this too over the past few days and I'm not having luck either. None of the Clausing 100's that I've seen (where I can see the inside of the gear cover door anyway) show the metal chart attached. I know exactly what it should look like, my Atlas has one and they also print the same thing in the manual, but I find it really odd that they're not showing up for the Clausing. Wonder if they only did it for a few years or on limited models? Very strange, I usually have better success than this -- losing my touch!

-frank

I did this too over the past few days and I'm not having luck either. None of the Clausing 100's that I've seen (where I can see the inside of the gear cover door anyway) show the metal chart attached. I know exactly what it should look like, my Atlas has one and they also print the same thing in the manual, but I find it really odd that they're not showing up for the Clausing. Wonder if they only did it for a few years or on limited models? Very strange, I usually have better success than this -- losing my touch!

-frank
Seems crazy that an image doesn't exist. I will definitely be taking a picture and posting it when I see the lathe on Friday.

Back