Clausing 100 Mk3 headstock gears

ShawnC

Registered
Registered
I just bought what I've identified to be a Clausing model 100 Mk3 which I've found is similar to the rebranded Atlas 4800. I have it set up and have been able to verify overall functionality, and the main issues I've found so far are three damaged headstock gears. The bull gear has several missing teeth, and the bull gear lock knob is bent. The gear positioned left of the drive pulleys (apparently brass or bronze) is referred to in the Clausing operation manual as the headstock pulley gear (or cone pulley gear in another section of the manual).

There's another gear below the headstock pulley gear (I'll refer to as the back gear, but I've not found an official name for it yet) which has several teeth missing also.

The bull gear has 78 teeth, is 5" diameter, and is 11/16 wide.
The headstock pulley gear has 32 teeth, is about 2 1/8" diameter, and 5/8 wide.
The lower back gear (engages the pulley gear) also has 78 teeth, is about 5" diameter, and is 5/8 wide.

I don't have exact bores yet, since I've not disassembled anything in the headstock.

I'll of course keep an eye on eBay, but if anyone has a source for any of these, I would appreciate the info.

Thanks

I have been negotiating with a man in CT to purchase a 100 series Clausing, I want a few pieces to fix mine but didn't know what to do with the bones.. If the teeth count & size matches up - would you be willing to work with me and purchase those other pieces you need? That would help defray the cost for me.

Yes, I would be happy to take the parts you don't need, especially the headstock parts. I also may need the main drive pulley (countershaft pulley), since I might change the non-original one which is currently on it.

There may be other parts I would be interested in, depending on what you don't need.

Thanks

Cool. I want a part or two from the apron. I'll send you a PM and we can chat there.

Following up on my original post, the deal 34_40 was chasing fell through, so I'm still interested in finding these gears.

Thanks

I have one of these old 100 Mk lathes that was given to me by my brother who passed away from Covid in 2021. Mine will never be for sale. My recommendation to you is try to find a parts lathe or the complete Head stock. The high wear on these lathes is the saddle. Because the Bed Ways themselves are flame hardened the saddle wears a groove in the saddle ways. So worn machines with OKAY headstocks are still around. The Cabin Fever Meet that everyone is talking about would be a good source.

Back