Clausing 100 QCTP - which size do I need?

ab_al

Registered
Registered
Hello,

Have been researching my options to install the QCTP (Aloris style one) to my Clausing 100 Mk3. I do have original tool post with some tool holders as well as some modified 4 way tool post but it is really inconvenient. I'm kind of lost as different sources say that size of Aloris I need is AXA but others say BXA is needed. Does somebody has the hands on experience with the matter?

If somebody is interested there are few pics:

tp1.jpgtp2.jpgtp3.jpg
There are only 8 positions to this tool post and there is no "free" position because of the way base is attached to the nut. And balls (there are 4 of those) are way to big so top has to be raised a lot in order to be able to turn it.

Thanks,
Ab

A 12" lathe is right there at the change point.
AXA may be too small.
Most people run a BXA on 11" and larger.

Go with an AXA tool post. I struggled over that same question and bought a bxa. It's too big. The center height of the tooling is generally just a touch too high when adjusted all the way down. I need to modify my #7 parting tool holder to get it to work at all.

Lathe swing is only part of the equation, it also has to do with spindle centerline over the carriage dimension, when I bought my Jet 14 x 40, I filled in all of the dimensions that both Aloris and Dorian asked for, they came back and said based on the filled in sheet either an AXA or a BXA would work, they also said because of the compound and carriage flex, that would occur long before any tool post flex, there would be no rigidity gain by going with a BXA. As I had numerous AXA tooling, I stayed with the AXA. All of my blocks are either at the tool post middle height or slightly below. I have absolutely no regrets by staying with the AXA tool post. I’m currently using a Dorian AXA tool post.

Last edited:
AXA needs a 15/16 min and BXA needs 1 1/8 min center height above the compound for the standard tool bit holders

It depends upon the distance or the difference between the height of the top of the compound slide where the tool posts sit and the height of the spindle center line. I'm not as familiar with the Clausing 100/4800 as I am with the similar size Atlas 12" but I've seen it written that both model lathes have buyers of the BXA who fall into one or the other of two categories - those who wish that they hadn't and admit it, and those who wish that they hadn't but won't admit it. So stay out of both groups and buy the AXA from someone. The other advantage of the AXA over the BXA of course is that almost everything that you will also have to buy for either one costs less for the AXA because 3/8" square tooling is generally significantly cheaper than the 1/2" square equivalent.

Last edited:
I have the same lathe and went with an axa, and it fits.

Same here, My Clausing 108 wears an AXA Aloris. Fits perfect.

I have a Model 100 Mk III with the original slides, and, after measuring up, I went with the BXA (wedge). Haven't run into any centerline height issues, using mostly 1/2" and 3/8" turning tools, but the angled holder for my tall/thin 9/16" parting tool is adjusted pretty far down in the post. If I had to extend it way out for clearance, I could imagine running out of adjustment.

Thanks for posting the break down photos of the ordinal QCTP.

Well 15 years ago discovered the Alois style QCTP on different forums. Went through the AXA vs BXA decision process for my Clausing 100 mk3 lathe. Purchased a clone wedged AXA set with six holders. This is the best first step tooling upgrade to do. For me the AXA works well and saves a lot on tool setup time.

Thing to watch out with the clone stuff is not all the tool holder fit are the same. The four Shars holder I need to shim the wedge to lock the holder in tight.

It is interesting all the different holders out there. Last holder was a 3D plastic printed dial indicator holder from eBay.

Back