Clausing 8012

brightonmike

Registered
Registered
Hi All

I'm a newbie here so I hope I get this right. Just purchased a Clausing Colchester 8012 12x40 lathe. I have a few questions I hope y'all can help with. I need a Center Bush. Called Clausing today and they are real proud of them! If someone out there knows the dimensions I think I'm better off making one. Any suggestions. If I do make it what would be a good material to use. Manual calls for MT3 center. I suppose I could take the measurements off the collet collar for O.D. dimensions.

Next question: I can't figure out any way to zero the crossfeed or compound dials. I have never operated a machine you couldn't do that with. I'm gonna try to attach some photos here.
lathe1.jpglathe2.jpglathe3.jpglathe4.jpglathe5.jpg
Hey it worked! In photo 2 and 3 which is the crossfeed you can see what looks like a small dial right on top but it doesnt seem to do anything. The only thing that moves is the sleeve to switch from english to metric. Same with compound dial but no small dial.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Mike

lathe1.jpg lathe2.jpg lathe3.jpg lathe4.jpg lathe5.jpg

Hi All

I'm a newbie here so I hope I get this right. Just purchased a Clausing Colchester 8012 12x40 lathe. I have a few questions I hope y'all can help with. I need a Center Bush. Called Clausing today and they are real proud of them! If someone out there knows the dimensions I think I'm better off making one. Any suggestions. If I do make it what would be a good material to use. Manual calls for MT3 center. I suppose I could take the measurements off the collet collar for O.D. dimensions.

Next question: I can't figure out any way to zero the crossfeed or compound dials. I have never operated a machine you couldn't do that with. I'm gonna try to attach some photos here.
View attachment 60372View attachment 60373View attachment 60374View attachment 60375View attachment 60376
Hey it worked! In photo 2 and 3 which is the crossfeed you can see what looks like a small dial right on top but it doesnt seem to do anything. The only thing that moves is the sleeve to switch from english to metric. Same with compound dial but no small dial.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Mike

Well I finally figered out the why I couldn't zero out the dials after taking the dials apart multiple times I discovered that they were just gunked up from not being used. A little wd 40 and a little persuasion and they broke free. I guess the previous owner just never zeroed the dials because of DRO, but I always liked to set compound parallel to ways and use it for fine feed to shoulders etc.

Thank you for this post! I just had to free up the zeroing dials on my new-to-me Colchester 8000 13x40 and don’t know that I would have figured it out without this thread.

Back