Clausing 8520 Mill in Grand Junction CO

Thanks guys!
I will be back in Grand Junction in early February so may try negotiating an appointment to examine the machine.
I have read several good comments about the 8520 and also like my Clausing 100 MK3 lathe.

Low offers by email from people who have not looked at the item are not often well received. Go look at the item, decide what it is worth to you, pay no attention to the asking price, and then if the item is something you want, make an offer, explain how you got there, and stick firm to it. Be perceived as a serious buyer, not as a tire kicker. If there is push back. write your offer down on paper with your name, contact information, and a date that the offer expires (perhaps one week?), with an added "or until I find something else." Hand it to the seller, be courteous and upbeat, shake hands, and walk away. Wait for the call. It often works.

Just to clarify--never made any offer to him. I believe I did ask if he was firm on his price though.

Just to clarify--never made any offer to him. I believe I did ask if he was firm on his price though.
Thanks. But, no offer, then no chance of a successful deal. Just saying... If it was not an item that you wanted to even look at after speaking with the owner, then good, don't waste your time. If it was still something you might have had interest in at some terms you had in mind, then I think you might have gone and looked at it. Sometimes things just need to be let go of. Other times, they need to be pursued to see if an agreement can be reached. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. For the whole year that went by, he could have been looking at your offer and phone number.

Bob gives good advise. If you are interested, talk to him directly (best in person but next best is phone). Make him any offer. If he doesn't take it, leave your number. Those mills have a cult like following, so hard to say if he will come down. There is one listed at Dillion, MT for $3500. That's just crazy money!

I am watching this with amusement. You cannot put a price tag on someones happiness. None of us can. If something is worth only 10.00 to you so be it. It may be worth more than that to someone else. This is their decision to make not ours. I myself have paid more than the face value for something simple because I wanted it. I have seen these mills go for more than 3500.00. Bottom line, there is no telling what someone else will pay.

"Billy G"

Something is only worth what you can get for it -- within an acceptable time period. The market is the variable, and it changes constantly, especially for arcane items. There might only be one prospective buyer for a really arcane item, and you should be very sure to attract that one person and make a deal, or be prepared to sit on it longer term. Or there might be many potential buyers for a desirable and rare item. Odds of getting a good price for a sale in a short time period increase dramatically with wide exposure, ads with clearly and easily understood photos and descriptions that show the item in its best light, and a calm, reasonable, and attentive demeanor with potential buyers. Buyers need to understand the art of the deal as well, from the other side of the table. Don't be your own worst enemy...

This thread has two different sub-threads going that have been mixed together. Myself included. One is the value of an 8520, and the other is how to make an offer. These two dollar figures are not necessarily anywhere close to equal in the overall market.

As far as value, $2500 seems to be in the middle of the range that I've seen listed, but I don't know what the exact sale prices were. A seller that doesn't "need" to sell, may not feel the need to drop the price. A motivated seller will drop. When I started looking for a mill, this was the one I wanted. I soon realized for me, I could get way more capacity with a Bridgeport style and not pay much, if any, more. I think $3500 is "crazy money" in comparison to the cost/capability of a Bridgeport style. I do understand that some people have size and weight restrictions that I do not have.

As far as making the an offer, it is all just talk until a dollar amount is put out there. The seller always has the option to say no, and that's fine if they do. Some may get insulted, but that's their problem, not yours. I've said, "To me it's worth $X. I'd give you that." That takes of emphasis off their assigned value of the item and puts it on the value to me. Some times I buy things, some times I don't. Sometimes they counter and I have the chance to decide, or give them my number if they change their mind. The key to getting it started is you need to present an offer with a specific dollar value attached.

Gasengin, Bill & Bob,
Thanks for your input, by being 200 miles from the machine my approach will be to negotiate a meeting date if it is still on the market in early February. I believe a face to face meeting and inspection are crucial. From there the guidelines Bob has set forth will be followed. I am not sure if the seller is aware of this website but their description of the machine makes me think they would be a third person involved in the transaction. Not a critical thing to me in any case, if I our prices don't coincide then obviously there is no deal.
Not having seen one of these machines makes me wonder if I can use the tooling I have for my Enco 105 Mill/Drill on the Clausing 8520. Several responses have been made mostly favorable and they are appreciated. The requesting price is at the upper range of my budget, but perhaps the sale of the Enco would ease that. How well does the 8520 handle a boring head to make a 1.75" dia hole is the type of questions running through my mind. On the Enco I try to keep it running as smoothly as I can so my DOC and feed rate are normally less than those listed in the books. Much of my work is in steel.
I understand the quill travel is 3" but am not sure of the distance from the quill to the top of a lowered table.
Thanks for all of your help.
Ray

Last edited:
Boring a 1.75 hole will be no problem. I have bored 4.200 with mine with nary a groan. Good luck.

"Billy G"

Back