Clausing 8525 Mill

I’ve only had mine about 6years, I’m also a second owner, but I don’t know how old the machine is. How can one find out? Who has the dates of production ?

Well, for me it was easy. I received the original manual with the mill and it had the Clausing Test Report which showed a date of 6/24/1966. The serial number is in the 0059xx series, if that helps any..

It might be worth a call to Clausing. They might have kept good records.

MK

Found history on mine, it was manufactured and shipped to Portland Machinery in August of 1958.

Found history on mine, it was manufactured and shipped to Portland Machinery in August of 1958.

It's always fun to learn some history of our old iron monsters! Did you learn this from Clausing? I've never talked to them; curious if they keep good records.

My 8520 mill was originally bought by a guy up in Canada. He was a machinist at the Canadian Forces armory in Vancouver if I recall correctly. When he retired he bought the 8520. Some thirty years later I bought it from him at his "pre - estate" sale. It came to me with a bunch of tooling including a shockingly large collection of reamers and a wall chart of drill sizes that is still hanging on my shop wall. The guy was a true gentleman and a master machinist. Some of his shop made tooling was magnificent. I was lucky to get the mill 20 years ago and still feel that way today.

He also had a Myford lathe that I did not acquire. I don't recall why -- either it was already sold or I didn't have the cash at the time. I had a really nice little Sheldon back then so maybe I didn't feel the need for the Myford. Always regretted that I didn't get it -- I have no doubt I'd still be using it if I had..

It's always fun to learn some history of our old iron monsters! Did you learn this from Clausing? I've never talked to them; curious if they keep good records.

My 8520 mill was originally bought by a guy up in Canada. He was a machinist at the Canadian Forces armory in Vancouver if I recall correctly. When he retired he bought the 8520. Some thirty years later I bought it from him at his "pre - estate" sale. It came to me with a bunch of tooling including a shockingly large collection of reamers and a wall chart of drill sizes that is still hanging on my shop wall. The guy was a true gentleman and a master machinist. Some of his shop made tooling was magnificent. I was lucky to get the mill 20 years ago and still feel that way today.

He also had a Myford lathe that I did not acquire. I don't recall why -- either it was already sold or I didn't have the cash at the time. I had a really nice little Sheldon back then so maybe I didn't feel the need for the Myford. Always regretted that I didn't get it -- I have no doubt I'd still be using it if I had..
As I recall I did a search on the net and found someone who had down loaded a spread sheet of serial numbers from Clausing factory Which also showed where the machines were shipped to various dealers. I guess I just lucked out !

I have heard this a few times but I gotta say, mine is still working just fine. The mill was built in 1966 and I'm the second owner. I've had it for 20 years..
View attachment 307394

Oh,yeah, I use the power feed a LOT!

MK

I think yours is the first I've seen with the optional belt cover, most just have the belts exposed.

Back