Clausing Drill press

boneyard51

Registered
Registered
I am comptplating buying some Clausing drill presses. They are on a 5 gang heavy cast table. It has been handled rough as it is in a junk yard. I can get them for scrap price. Didnt get the number on the drills, but they have the variable drive, square looking head. I think I could get two presses out of this mess and some parts. Then just bolt one to my metal work bench or adapt some other machine base to them. Has anyone done this? Am I going to run into problems? Big problems? Are those good presses ? One has been converted to direct drive. Thanks!

Bones

Possibly 3 phase/333/220 be careful.

I did similar with Powermatic 1200. The original setup had 3 identical drill presses on a cast table.

I made a floor mount out of it and a new slotted table. Mine is 3 phase and run from a cheap $60 VFD

My Clausing Vari speed had been sitting outside for maybe a decade before it came to me.
Was rusty and seized. Price was right for me. Gang table and press for the price of hauling it away.
Parts were hard to come by. Especially at prices I was willing to pay.
Biggest problem was the vari speed bushings and assembly needed significant assist.
My entire point is that while it took significant time and sometimes making parts multiple times.
I was able to rebuild the entire machine without spending money buying off Ebay or parts distributors. That may make me lucky and not good...
Your experience may be different.

Daryl
MN

Kirk Poore over on the OWWM website started with this:
pm 1200b.jpg

and ended up with this:
pm 1200.jpg

He used table saw extensions for a wider work surface and mounted the whole thing to a shop made base. It's his daily driver. I do know he had some issues with the variable speed (i think he had a broken pulley). You might wander over there and ask him about his experience. I'm sure he'd be happy to share.

As to the 3 phase question, i believe it's a standard 1hp motor. You could either use a phase converter or VFD, or swap the motor with a single phase unit.

paulh

Back