Clausing Lathe Problem

rustymachine

Registered
Registered
Hi; I recently purchased a 1977 Clausing Lathe 12"x24" Model 5904. Everything seems to work great except for the variable speed. When i turn the handle to increase the speed it turns just fine but when i release the handle it goes back to the lower speed. What holds it in place? Am i doing something wrong or is there some thing wrong with my machine? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• Resized_20200824_150116.jpeg
    Resized_20200824_150116.jpeg
    422.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Resized_20200824_150530.jpeg
    Resized_20200824_150530.jpeg
    421.7 KB · Views: 30
The variable pullies on these are hydraulicly actuated and you will have issues if there is any air in the system or if the seals are leaking. I think there were some instructions on bleeding and rebuilding these on the .io (formerly Yahoo group) list. I ultimately got rid of the whole "Reeves" mechanism and converted to direct drive with VFD controls. The conversion is detailed in another thread in the Clausing section.

It looks from the second photo that the hydraulics have been modded/customized so it seems likely they didn't fully bleed the system or there may be an air leak you need to track down
-Mark

Thanks Mark. I'm trying to figure out the best way to bleed the system now. I'm not seeing the bleeder screw that it shows in the manual on top of the reservoir. Any ideas?

I had a similar problem on my Clausing 1501.

If the hydraulic system air purge and fluid refill check doesn't result in improvement then look at the spiral spring that counterbalances the weight of the motor. On your lathe it looks like it is directly below the speed control dial.

On my lathe it was disconnected / broken and the weight of the motor pulled it down to low speed position when the knob was released.

After unsuffessfully trying to salvage the broken spring a new one from Clausing and a bit of blue language getting it put back together solved the problem.

Stu

Back