Cleaning A New Mill?

WD-40 doesn't seem like it would be a very good cleaner. I use kerosen myself for this type of work.

WD-40 works really well, but at $20/gal it costs about 10x more than kerosene. It's a mix of light machine oil and mineral spirits, so the metal isn't left entirely bare when it dries.

has anyone used a product called corrosion x? its suppose to coat steel and keep it lubed and corrosion free...much better than any oil or penetrating oil...I have used it on some rusty stuff and seems to do a good job, but was curios how it would work on precision machinery ....

Put the front back on the crate and send it to me. I will clean and lubricate it, then as a special treat for no charge I will wire it up and make shure it opperates properly. After a few months of testing I will allow you to come and pick it up. I dont charge much, and the long term storage is free!:) ;)
Seriously kerosene and WD with some elbow grease will have you up and running in no time. Any questions can be asked here.
Good luck and more pictures.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Definitely follow the instructions and take everything apart and clean it. There WILL be residual sand from the casting process in there. That is not so good for any sliding surfaces :). You shouldn't need to take the head apart, btw. Note: there are some parts behind the head, holding it on the column that are supposed to make it easier to return the head to vertical if you tilt it. (Some plastic nubs and some wimpy springs) Maybe you can figure out how to get those items back in properly during the reassembly, but I could not (and I'm a mechanical engineer!). I just took those parts out and tossed them in a drawer. They would not return the head to vertical better than a good tramming anyway. The tilt feature is nice - you just need to pay for that privilege (by tramming after you are done) when you use it.

I have the Grizzly version of that mill and I really like it. It's not a full sized Bridgeport, but you can do some really nice work on it. Have fun and put a DRO on that thing - it makes it much more functional, trust me on that one. I also recently got a used 4inch Kurt vice for mine. That is just the right size. A 6 inch will be too big (for the mill and simply to lug around). I bought a two inch vice and it was way too small. Be careful when you get the hold-down kit (and t-nuts). The mill uses an off-standard size. I've posted pictures of my set-up in the forum in case you want to look at them to get some ideas for yours. Let me know if you have any questions.

Rick

Back