Cleaning after turning certain metals?

FTlatheworks

Registered
Registered
I had a very large part from a machine at work that I had to turn. It was a large cylinder that had brake pads around it. The pads had glazed and scored the surface of this cylinder. I took a total of .050 off. I would estimate it was 8 inches in diameter. The metal seemed like iron but I am completely guessing. I took doc’s about .010-.015 until I needed a nicer surface finish. While turning it didn’t come off as chip, rather a powder or granular consistency resulted. This got on the ways, I’m the hand cranks, and even obstructed my oiling port detent balls. My question is, should I take apart the cross slide, compound, and tool post to clean out this sand like chips? I attempted to cover the ways, but it threw this stuff over the entire length of the lathe. It is a Chinese pm1236 and I know they aren’t known for lasting the longest so I am trying to maintain the best I can.

If anyone can give their input on wether iron leaves a sand like chip when turned, or if that’s how steels that are hardened behave it would be appreciated. I have turned ar500 plate before and it behaved similar, but this part was much easier to turn than the ar500.

Here’s the part.

Attachments

• 9E115F6A-0325-47E3-A0F2-42BE0003FB4A.jpeg
    9E115F6A-0325-47E3-A0F2-42BE0003FB4A.jpeg
    404.8 KB · Views: 9
Every time I've machined cast iron, the same thing would happen. Kinda "powders" as it's coming off and goes everywhere. I treat it like grinding something on the lathe, meaning I cover every thing as much as possible without risking getting something caught in the chuck.

If it were me and I thought it got under the ways and into the cross slide, I'd take it apart and clean it....but that's me.

Cast iron; take it apart and clean. taking more feed will make the particles larger, and yes, cover things up, perhaps lower speed and stuff won't fly so far., also application of a chip brush over the tool will prevent most flying chips, they will fall straight down.

After I made my first chuck backing plate I didn't clean as well as I should have and I regret it as the flaking that was on my new to me 1975 SB is now gone :(

If it comes off as iron particles and black dust particles it is some kind of cast-iron.
It came off as exactly that and sparked. I ran at the 300 rpm because I was under time constraint while attaining the nicest finish in the shortest amount of time.

I thought cast iron wasn’t all that bad, but I will take everything apart and clean. It got in every nook and kranny. When cleaning it off I feel like I just rubbed it into all the corners.

After I made my first chuck backing plate I didn't clean as well as I should have and I regret it as the flaking that was on my new to me 1975 SB is now gone :(
Ouch, that’s what I’m worried about. Flaking is a nice finish on the ways?

Ouch, that’s what I’m worried about. Flaking is a nice finish on the ways
Every time I've machined cast iron, the same thing would happen. Kinda "powders" as it's coming off and goes everywhere. I treat it like grinding something on the lathe, meaning I cover every thing as much as possible without risking getting something caught in the chuck.

If it were me and I thought it got under the ways and into the cross slide, I'd take it apart and clean it....but that's me.
will do

Back