Cleaning after turning certain metals?

FTlatheworks

Registered
Registered
I had a very large part from a machine at work that I had to turn. It was a large cylinder that had brake pads around it. The pads had glazed and scored the surface of this cylinder. I took a total of .050 off. I would estimate it was 8 inches in diameter. The metal seemed like iron but I am completely guessing. I took doc’s about .010-.015 until I needed a nicer surface finish. While turning it didn’t come off as chip, rather a powder or granular consistency resulted. This got on the ways, I’m the hand cranks, and even obstructed my oiling port detent balls. My question is, should I take apart the cross slide, compound, and tool post to clean out this sand like chips? I attempted to cover the ways, but it threw this stuff over the entire length of the lathe. It is a Chinese pm1236 and I know they aren’t known for lasting the longest so I am trying to maintain the best I can.

If anyone can give their input on wether iron leaves a sand like chip when turned, or if that’s how steels that are hardened behave it would be appreciated. I have turned ar500 plate before and it behaved similar, but this part was much easier to turn than the ar500.

Every time I've machined cast iron, the same thing would happen. Kinda "powders" as it's coming off and goes everywhere. I treat it like grinding something on the lathe, meaning I cover every thing as much as possible without risking getting something caught in the chuck.

If it were me and I thought it got under the ways and into the cross slide, I'd take it apart and clean it....but that's me.

Cast iron; take it apart and clean. taking more feed will make the particles larger, and yes, cover things up, perhaps lower speed and stuff won't fly so far., also application of a chip brush over the tool will prevent most flying chips, they will fall straight down.

After I made my first chuck backing plate I didn't clean as well as I should have and I regret it as the flaking that was on my new to me 1975 SB is now gone :(

If it comes off as iron particles and black dust particles it is some kind of cast-iron.
It came off as exactly that and sparked. I ran at the 300 rpm because I was under time constraint while attaining the nicest finish in the shortest amount of time.

I thought cast iron wasn’t all that bad, but I will take everything apart and clean. It got in every nook and kranny. When cleaning it off I feel like I just rubbed it into all the corners.

After I made my first chuck backing plate I didn't clean as well as I should have and I regret it as the flaking that was on my new to me 1975 SB is now gone :(
Ouch, that’s what I’m worried about. Flaking is a nice finish on the ways?

Ouch, that’s what I’m worried about. Flaking is a nice finish on the ways
Every time I've machined cast iron, the same thing would happen. Kinda "powders" as it's coming off and goes everywhere. I treat it like grinding something on the lathe, meaning I cover every thing as much as possible without risking getting something caught in the chuck.

If it were me and I thought it got under the ways and into the cross slide, I'd take it apart and clean it....but that's me.
will do

Back