Cleaning my new to me gauge pins holder FAIL

I don't want to drill all those holes, I was planning on re-using. I figure they are in excellent shape after 40 years.. the date on the catalog is 1979
so good enough for me.

I won't reslot the pins for a week or so to let the glue dry if I use white or yellow. I think the spray would be the best for the pins, no water in the spray, but the hardest to do. I wish I had rubber cement, but I don't and staples doesn't have it locally.

so it looks like white or yellow.

How about something like plastic corrugated boards.
https://www.michaels.com/plastic-corrugated-board-by-creatology/M10567770.html

Cheap, sturdy, easy to make holes in and maybe easy to mark?
I have a large sheet of that... $18 from Home Depot last year... I used to to scribe my vanity.
if you ever need to get an exact size, you cut strips off the corroplast , rough cut your corroplast to the opening, then hot glue the strips back on, and you get an exact copy of the cabinet... no issues... nice and tight...

I rarely use rattle cans. I had a matte nickel can of rustoleum, so perfect.. would prefer to have had hammered nickel, but I'll go with what I got.
evapo rust was not successful in converting the rust, so I wire brushed it off, then hit it with a flap wheel.

just dusting on coats.. I'll see how many it requires. No primer.. I'm not worried.

b4 wire and sanding
20211017_175511.jpg20211017_182204.jpg20211017_182213.jpg

If the inside came out as well as the outside, you couldn't do better new. I mean it looks new now, but better.

A thouht regarding the tape on the ends of the strips: If you covered the whole surface with clear packing tape, the strips over each end would be moot. Better still would be a sheet of "laminating" plastic, if you could find one large enough. And easier to keep clean, just wipe it down. Holes over 0.100 could be slit with a #10 blade. They would fold down and stick when you insert a pin. For the smaller ones, use an ice pick (is there still such a thing??) or a needle.

Clear coat rustolium is great stuff.

Grabbed some on sale for our meter panel project and it sprays nice and dries fast.

A few coats and you will be good.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Clear coat rustolium is great stuff.

Grabbed some on sale for our meter panel project and it sprays nice and dries fast.

A few coats and you will be good.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
thanks, but not looking for a concours finish, just a useful protective finish.
Bill, I thought about that, but I don't want any gummy adhesive near the pins.
When ready to insert them back in, I'll be oiling each pin with 3 in 1 on a paper towel, and cleaning them using the 3 in 1.
Hopefully ready to go. I had thought about your advice before you gave it, and decided against it.. also it was a lot of work to slit each , or to remove a HOLE if I went that way. Since I'm a woodworker too, I took my moisture meter out, and am surprised that the moisture is low already.
maybe by tonight.. I am running a fan over it to get any moisture out of the styrofoam, because I had washed it.. and it appears to have worked, and helped the drying of the glue... but the glue is very thin strips.. so it should dry quickly.

If the inside came out as well as the outside, you couldn't do better new. I mean it looks new now, but better.

A thouht regarding the tape on the ends of the strips: If you covered the whole surface with clear packing tape, the strips over each end would be moot. Better still would be a sheet of "laminating" plastic, if you could find one large enough. And easier to keep clean, just wipe it down. Holes over 0.100 could be slit with a #10 blade. They would fold down and stick when you insert a pin. For the smaller ones, use an ice pick (is there still such a thing??) or a needle.

I used laminating plastic on the strips. Just covered the paper then cut the strips out.
read my response above to you included in #19

Back