Cleaning old machines in a home shop

I suggest / recommend Fluid Film as an after cleaning metal surface protectant. It lasts for a long time, keeps the moisture out and provides a smooth non sticky surface.
That stuff is disgusting. I won't use it. I think it not only stinks, it ruins any clothes I've gotten it on. Used to use it on car underbodies as a winter/salt rust protectant.

If there is a lot of crud, then any cheap oil-based substance is useful. Inexpensive and plentiful is good. Garage sales are good. Some of the materials I have used are old paint thinner, garage sale lamp oil (a dollar or less a bottle), and used fryer oil.

I just discovered the best oil-based substance we could wish for.

Used motor oil.

It goes through that asphalt like crud and makes it soft. Wipe it on wet and let it soak a minute. Wipes right off with a rag. I guess new motor oil would also work. . .but, who can afford THAT nowadays?

Atf is even better

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Heat is your friend when it comes to cleaning almost anything. I use a steam cleaner quite a bit:
2022-05-27_103116.jpg
No chemicals needed.

Heated ultrasonic cleaners also do an incredible job but large ones can get expensive. I picked this one up used about 25 years ago:
PICT8084.JPGPICT8082.JPG
My favorite ultrasonic cleaning solution is water + Dawn dishwashing liquid + TSP.

ATF is really good. So is ATF mixed with Acetone as a home made Kroil which does a excellent job penetrating and cleaning!

TSP in hot water also does a great job on grime. The phosphate in TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) super accelerates algae growth in streams, rivers and lakes (which is a very bad thing)... but it is also a great fertilizer for the lawn if you dilute it before dumping in on the grass.

Last edited:
Heat is your friend when it comes to cleaning almost anything. I use a steam cleaner quite a bit:
View attachment 408093
No chemicals needed.

Heated ultrasonic cleaners also do an incredible job but large ones can get expensive. I picked this one up used about 25 years ago:
View attachment 408094View attachment 408104
My favorite ultrasonic cleaning solution is water + Dawn dishwashing liquid + TSP.

ATF is really good. So is ATF mixed with Acetone as a home made Kroil which does a excellent job penetrating and cleaning!

TSP in hot water also does a great job on grime. The phosphate in TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) super accelerates algae growth in streams, rivers and lakes (which is a very bad thing)... but it is also a great fertilizer for the lawn if you dilute it before dumping in on the grass.

Did not know they made little steam cleaners other than the carpet cleaning variety.

I have a medium size ultrasonic cleaner holds about 1-1/2 gallons (6 liter). I use it for little parts and saved a bunch of jelly jars to use with it. Hot water with a squirt of Dawn Platinum does a great job, but I did discover it will strip paint if left in for more than a few minutes.

It did a great job cleaning up these oilers.

Oilers.jpg

Coleman fuel is my current favorite sauce. Not too stinky and evaporates cleanly. Easy on paint and low voc so you won't pass out.
I sometimes use the water-rinsable Gunk for engine cleaning, but only occasionally. A foul but useful product

"Totally Awesome" from the dollar store.

Used in a wore out "jamb",or touch-up spray gun. Set air to about 40#'s.

I try to stay away from harsh chemicals as much as possible. I live next to a river and have a well and sewer so pouring anything down the drain or dumping it on my land is pretty much a no Bueno.
A number of years ago a machinist friend of mine recommended Super Clean https://superclean.com . It is some really awesome stuff. I do wear rubber gloves when I use it, not because it is caustic to skin, but rather because it takes every last speck of oil out of your skin and results in really dry hands. The wife doesn't like that ;)

I like using a high-pressure washer to clean farm equipment and parts. It doesn't add any chemicals to the farm and vegetable garden.

Back