Cleanup On Aisle 1...Kurt Vise

I believe the formula of WD-40 is solvent and water emulsion. So, what one dissolves the other gets under it preventing it remain a film. The citrus oils in cleaners naturally combine an oil and water type liquid. Ask some Navy carrier vet; conserving water at sea, aircraft are cleaned with hand cleaner. Even exhaust soot. You won't believe how gritty/ cream hand cleaners wail on grease or rust. The abrasive is too soft {Mohs scale] for any damage on machined surface.

I use some magic stuff called Evaporust to get the rust off, it's amazing. Just knock off the loose stuff with a wire brush & soak for a day or 2, then rinse with water!
After removing the rust & painting I use some stuff called Fluid Film to protect against future rust, it's a spray on stuff that kind of drys to a pasty slime. I don't think I'd use it for long term storage outside but, in the shop it's great!
And both of these are skin & environment friendly, if you don't mind a little soap & water even your hands are safe.

^^^^^
Evaporust is terrific stuff. As for cleaning coolant off machines, a lot of folks say the only good way to get dried coolant off a surface is to apply more coolant. Personally, I have found Purple Power to be really effective on just about anything. Just be careful on painted surfaces, as prolonged use or soaking will actually strip the paint.

Back