Clickspring is back

Larry$

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
The video series about the Antikythera Mechanism is back. If you are not familiar with this go to the YouTube channel of Clickspring. His builds are always superb.
He builds a replica of the Antikythera. Worth a look see if you are not familiar with his work. The engineering and build quality that was accomplished over 2000 years ago is incredible. Clickspring's latest video references a scientific paper mainly about how they determined the design.

I can't tell you how happy I was to see new content on the Clickspring main channel!!

The skeleton clock series is excellent too, as well as the card press most recently. His work is inspirational.

I am currently working on a couple of gyroscopes inspired by Chris' plans and build.
I'm hoping they work out well for Christmas presents.
-brino

Pics please!

Very nice Brino! I have a thought about making one of these even larger. At what diameter and RPM do you start worrying about the wheel coming apart?!
Robert

At what diameter and RPM do you start worrying about the wheel coming apart?!

For this design I'd worry about the bearings failing long before the wheels integrity becomes an issue.
This "cone bearing" (as ClickSpring calls it) is just a 60 degree axle running in a 90 degree cone pocket.

I used stainless for the axle and brass for the bearings. There was enough "wearing in" that the threaded adjustment was necessary for the first dozen or so tests. After that it seemed to settle in and very little additional adjustment was required.

It would be fun to have a much bigger wheel on real ball bearings that are mounted really well.

-brino

Back