Close to the chuck

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hi all,
I’m new to the addiction and am hoping for some instruction on turning close to the chuck.
I don’t want to hit the spinning chuck with the cross slide so am I to assume that I get as close as I can and turn the piece end for end to turn the other end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Set your carriage stop so you can't . Some cutters don't like interrupted cuts ! ( if you know what I mean ) ;)

Job procedure is the hardest thing about machining . Take the time beforehand to plan what exactly you are trying to accomplish , and set out a plan of action . Basic rule of thumb is do the most in the minimal amount of set-ups . When you're looking at complex parts , sometimes this is not an easy task even for the most experienced guys . Work holding , fixtureing , GDT , all come into play . Sometimes you have tight tolerances along with wide open tolerances , different run-out specs etc , but the workholding requires the wide open tolerences to be tied up for future set-ups. It all falls into place after practicing the trade for some time . It becomes easy and becomes fun also , and becomes an addiction for some . ( not me ) :rolleyes:

it is something you get used to. While still squeamish, a carriage stop is very helpful, but you can always choose to cut away from the chuck. Joe Piezynski (sp) advocates threading away from the chuck for this reason. He has 35 years machining experience and he machines away from the chuck as much as possible.

You'll learn fast when you get too close to your chuck , you will feel hot chips going down your tee shirt . A sure sign to back that stop off a hair ! o_O

I don’t want to hit the spinning chuck with the cross slide so am I to assume that I get as close as I can and turn the piece end for end to turn the other end?

I don't know how the other guys do it but I usually rough the work piece long enough to fully engage the jaw length of my chuck, plus a safe 1/4-1/2" beyond the chuck jaws, plus the length of my intended finished part. Then I use a live center to support the end and turn it in one go. Then you just part off the piece you want to keep.

Back