clutch adjustment

songbird

Active User
Registered
I have a very old 9" sb, (1935 + -),that when releasing the clutch knob, you have to make about a 1/2 turn to disengage the feed. You also nearly have to push the knob in while disengaging. I recently bought a newer version 9" sb, (1949 + -) that barely has to move 1/8 turn to disengage the feed. Can the older version be adjusted, or is that just what you got at that time. Thanks, Jim.

Sounds like mushey gummy grease/ wonder if you can get some carb cleaner up there it wont hurt.
Mines a 1941 and releases also about 1/8 turn.

Sounds like mushey gummy grease/ wonder if you can get some carb cleaner up there it wont hurt.
Mines a 1941 and releases also about 1/8 turn.

I don't think that it is that hard to remove the cross slide and apron as a unit, then clean everything while still assembled. At that point, the clutch knob/assembly may be simple enough to seperate and get a good cleaning. Any thoughts? Thanks, Jim.

To get an idea of what you will find, check out http://steammachine.com/hercus/index.html

It relates to a Hercus lathe, which is the Australian-build licensed copy of the Southbend. I have one and they are very good. Many parts are interchangeable, so what you see should be what you get.

Back