Clutch change on a John Deere 5105 ml

That’s why I use antisieze on most everything around the farm. It sure makes life easier when it come to repairs later on. Only down side I manage to have it all over me by the time I finish
Obviously, you don't understand the function of "Anti seize". It isn't really used to keep bolts and fittings from seizing. It's actually a tracking agent. All you have to do is get close to it. It clings to your skin, clothes, shoes, and anything else it comes in contact with. You can retrace every step you've taken and everything you've touched for at least the next month.

The mechanics on farm equipment don’t work flat rate. Warranty work always is cut to the bone. It was always stressful working in the production plant because the line was down if you had to work on it. A down line attracted attention real quick.
Flat rate in this case was warranty rate. At one time auto manufacturers had a different hourly rate for customer pay jobs and factory warranty jobs. Consumer groups got upset that the factory was paying less for warranty work than customers were paying for the same retail work. They launched a class action suit and won. All the manufacturers did was change the amount of time they paid for warranty work. A job that previously paid 1 hour labor for either retail or warranty work now pays 1 hour when done for a retail customer, but only .5 hours when done under warranty.

The question is, did the company charge for, and did you get paid for the additional time it took to complete the job? I've been in similar situations, but rarely ever got paid for the additional time it took to make the repairs.

The worst incident was in the mid 1980's when working for an Oldsmobile dealership. A "customer had one of the infamous Olds 5.7-liter diesels go bad. He took it to an independent garage to have it repaired. Once the engine was out of the car and disassembled, he decided it was too expensive to have rebuilt. He brought it to the dealership to get some "warranty assistance".

I was the one unlucky enough to get the job. The vehicle came in behind a tow truck with the block in the back of the truck, and 22 boxes of parts in the interior and trunk of the car. At the time GM paid a little under 30 hours to R&R and rebuild the engine. However, since they were such problems, they decided to arbitrarily cut the time. Between the time I started on the rebuild and the time it went out the door they cut the flat rate almost in half. Then they decided since the engine was already disassembled, they would only pay a little over half the flat rate or 9 hrs. Of course, they didn't tell me that until the job was done, and the car was out the door.

Needless to say, the reduced pay didn't set very well with me. I knew I couldn't make ends meet if every time someone complained I didn't get paid for 20 hours of work. That's when i decided it was time to move on to a new career.
Yes, the exact time I was on the job was billed, i was paid by the hour too.The job was authorized by the customer, with the understanding that there were multiple problems with the unit and things could get espensive .

UNICEF is not in the equipment repair business , labor deserves compensation for their efforts

Flat rate in this case was warranty rate. At one time auto manufacturers had a different hourly rate for customer pay jobs and factory warranty jobs. Consumer groups got upset that the factory was paying less for warranty work than customers were paying for the same retail work. They launched a class action suit and won. All the manufacturers did was change the amount of time they paid for warranty work. A job that previously paid 1 hour labor for either retail or warranty work now pays 1 hour when done for a retail customer, but only .5 hours when done under warranty.
I worked flat rate for a year and the management didn’t like that I was billing too many hours and getting overcompensated for standing around when they crept out of the vault.
It was repetitive work that I got very fast at doing the job. I could easily bill my 8 hr day out in 6 hours, but they wanted me to stay for 8 hours and do more work without extra compensation, so I accepted their proposition, I worked slowly on the last job of the day, taking hours to do a job I could punch out in an hour.
Management often screws up a good thing

Back