cnc controller enclosure..

brucer

Active User
Registered
here some shots of my controller/power supply mounted and wired in my enclosure, I added a couple outlets and an on/off switch and also removed the factory fan and installed 2 heavy duty fans on the heat sink and also added an exhaust fan to create a nice crossflow..

need to pre-test it and check and adjust the output of the power supply before i power the board up.

IMG00569-20120214-1810.jpg IMG00567-20120214-1809.jpg IMG00568-20120214-1809.jpg

brucer
dad & i have this one.
http://www.probotix.com/ready_to_run_driver_options/
we bought the 4 axis enclosure at the same time
we bought the 3 axis stepper motor kit.
has room to expand.
they assembled and tested it no charge.

brucer- that power supply should be drawing in outside air.
also put matching plain vents in enclosure.
check pc mid tower case and do it like that.

Have A Nice Day!

'LA-Only the strong survive!'

Probotix Enclosure.jpg

the filter at the bottom left is for fresh air intake, the fan at the top right is the exhaust fan...

I've looked at probotix in the past, they are too expensive for what you get, if I were going to spend that kind of money I would use a gecko electronics package...

I bought my 425oz. 4axis kit for $255, (driver board, 4x425oz hybrid steppers, 24v/14.6amp power supply) from hubbardcnc.. the probotix kit is like $459, then you add either $120 or $150 for the enclosure ($580 or $610 for the 400oz kit with enclosure). My enclosure was free, fans were $5 each, transformer was like $15, outlets and switch and covers were probably $10, so around $50 for a steel enclosure with filter and exhaust fan is pretty good.. plus the electronics will be shielded from my plasma cutter by the steel enclosure, actually it might be double shielded as i might put this enclosure inside a nice industrial steel cabinet I have...

I have around $310 in my entire electronics package, roughly half of what a probotix 4axis "monster" kit would cost...

Last edited:
bruce
i figured out how you're doing this now.

1 power supply includes exhaust fan pulling warm/hot air out of it.

2 on your breakout board or all in one stepper motor controller you've added two pc fans to it.

3 vents in enclosure.

4 this all could go on a piece of plywood in most situations but you're enclosing components for 'protection'.

looks good to me!:)

note: ours is breakout board & 3 stepper motor controller boards.

Have A Nice Day!

bruce
i figured out how you're doing this now.

1 power supply includes exhaust fan pulling warm/hot air out of it.

2 on your breakout board or all in one stepper motor controller you've added two pc fans to it.

3 vents in enclosure.

4 this all could go on a piece of plywood in most situations but you're enclosing components for 'protection'.

looks good to me!:)

note: ours is breakout board & 3 stepper motor controller boards.

Have A Nice Day!

racecar builder,

yes
all the components inside the cabinet are mounted on a removable plate, and you could mount everything on a piece of plywood, or even a piece of mirrored plexiglass.

The outlet on the outside of the cabinet will have power on it all the time when it is plugged in, I will plug in my computer and monitor here..

to turn the controller on I flip the switch on the front of the enclosure, it powers up the 24v/14.6 amp power supply which powers the combo board up, and also the 12vdc power supply to turn the fans on, pretty much powers up the table.. I removed the factory 5vdc fan that was powered off the board and replaced it with the 2 small 12vdc fans, the 12vdc fans are a bit more robust than the 5vdc fan, they should be much more effective than the smaller single fan..

The 12vdc power supply that is plugged in at the bottom of the enclosure is powering the exhaust fan at the top right of the enclosure and also the 2 smaller fans on the driver board.... The 80mm filter panel is at the lower left corner of the enclosure... the 60mm fan on upper right will draw out warm air and pull fresh air in from the bottom side of the cabinet, this will always circulate fresh air into the enclosure..

The board is considered a combo board, it has the break out board and the 4 axis drivers all on the same board, they are inexpensive.... I might upgrade to the individual breakout board and drivers later on, depends how this setup runs.... if it runs good I probably wont mess with it..

bruce
here's dad & i's 'shop floorcomputer'.
http://www.probotix.com/accessories/

probotix calls it Ubuntu EMC2 Controller and
that's what dad put on it.

Probotix supplied Ubuntu/EMC2 CD or DVD.

note: whatever it is that can be added to controller to
keep CNC table from 'back feeding' to controller and pc and frying it
if table starts malfunctioning, we got it at the time we
put this together.

Have A Nice Day!

Ubuntu EMC2 Control Computer.jpg

bruce

probotix calls it Ubuntu EMC2 Controller and
that's what dad put on it.

Probotix supplied Ubuntu/EMC2 CD or DVD.

yep that's a computer..
I have an Allen Bradley 2.2ghz (intel) , with 2 gig of memory, and I think a 60gig hard drive, if I remember correctly...
I have $0 in it, pulled parts out of a scrap bin from an auction and built it myself.. I also have ubuntu/emc2 installed on my computer, along with windowsXP/mach3...

note: whatever it is that can be added to controller to
keep CNC table from 'back feeding' to controller and pc and frying it
if table starts malfunctioning, we got it at the time we
put this together.

I think you are referring to the break out board also known as a bob..

bruce

I wish my computer looked that nice, mines an old jalopy.. It seems to run good though. When I put it together I left it on for like 3 weeks straight, also designed some brackets for a friend of mine on it.. It ran pretty good for what i had in it.. After I get the table completely together I'll probably add a better dvd player, I have a bigger backup computer I can use if that one goes down for some reason, I am definitely not lacking on computers.

you should post some pictures of your dads machine..

Back