CNC help needed.

Dan,

Not yet, I am still open to suggestions. Bob Cam does not support Swiss. So I am still wandering around in the land of the lost looking for the Holy grail of programs that I can afford. LOL

Nick

Dan,

Not yet, I am still open to suggestions. Bob Cam does not support Swiss. So I am still wandering around in the land of the lost looking for the Holy grail of programs that I can afford. LOL

Nick

I use GibbsCam, but I'm not sure that will work with your Swiss machines. Besides, it's a pretty high end software. If it does work with Swiss machines, it will probably be in the neighborhood of $10,000.00. It's good software, but it's expensive.

Did you figure out what software you need for the machine?

Dan (in Kansas)

Dan,

Nick

Nick

Did you ask the company that you bought it from what they were using? Perhaps they have a seat (a license copy of the software) they can sell you.

Dan,
Good idea, I will check tomorrow to find out. I picked up the wire and conduit for the Swiss today. I should have it wired to the panel tomorrow.

Nick

Well Folks,

A year later and a lot of cussing and extensive trouble shooting. I have been operational for about 9 months.

The list of copper bullets that I named as X-Fire and developed through R&D are as follows:

45-70 opens up to 1.7"
45 colt and 45 ACP open to 1.34"
44 mag opens to 1.7"
40 S&W opens to 1.25"
9mm, 38 sp and 357 mag open to 1.1"
380 ACP opens to .835"

I am currently doing R&D to make a .308 that will open up to 1.7" first test failed, they opened up in the air. I now have to make them stronger.

Can you tell us what CAD and CAM setup you ended up using? Great Story!
CG.

Well Folks,

A year later and a lot of cussing and extensive trouble shooting. I have been operational for about 9 months.

The list of copper bullets that I named as X-Fire and developed through R&D are as follows:

45-70 opens up to 1.7"
45 colt and 45 ACP open to 1.34"
44 mag opens to 1.7"
40 S&W opens to 1.25"
9mm, 38 sp and 357 mag open to 1.1"
380 ACP opens to .835"

I am currently doing R&D to make a .308 that will open up to 1.7" first test failed, they opened up in the air. I now have to make them stronger.

Well Folks,

I hired a guy to write an initial program and help locate the tool paths needed. He used Mastercam. From that one single program, copy and paste with an editor to get what I needed as well as learning what to do. I am still learning a lot. LOL This means writing code by hand.

Nick

Dan,
I have come to believe there is no decent cadcam available for a Swiss cnc at a reasonable entry level price. LOL Sooooo, having talked to several folks about cadcam software there is only one that I found that I may be able to swing money wise and it costing me $3,500.00. That would be Gibbs Cadcam. The only thing I can say is I have to sell a lot of ammunition and firearms to be able to cough that up and not have a tangible product in hand to sell for that investment.

I'm probably way ahead just keeping my big trap shut, but were someone to ask (which no one has) I might tend to approach this whole thing a bit differently.
That is, yes, the CNC lathe can do everything and better than any other machine in the world (just sayin'), and yes, this is a home CNC forum, but i look at your product line and notice you're selling ammo. Projectiles. That means once 50 items have dropped, you've sold ONE box of ammo (or 2 the way they package it nowadays). You're wanting to build a jillion of the same thing: a fairly simple projectile. And you want to do a lot of them for a long time.
Why not save several thou and just get an old Brown and Sharpe Screw Machine? Grind a tool bit (or two) to match your desired ogive; set it up and let it run. Copper is forgiving and most tools will last nearly forever. This technique has been working for decades -- even before NC existed.
Sure, it rattles a lot, but they're hard to beat when turning out your kind of production.
Change out a 20 foot stick of Cu whenever one gets done or even find one with a stick handler and load up a dozen sticks; turn off the lights; and come back... on the weekend!
Haven't been looking, but saw two of them on Craigslist about a year ago... for less than the price of a good software package.

Wrat

Good point,
However, I have a buddy that has 15 B&S screw machines, According to him they will hold 1-2 thousandths tolerance. That is not tight enough. Plus any and I mean any adjustment for size is basically a regrinding. I make about 500 a day when needed. Just not enough demand yet to put in another machine or two.

Nick

Back