CNC - Milltronics, bridgeport, or tormach

I have a Sharp LMV mill with a Southwest Industries A.G.E. 2-axis CNC system on it. It works great a manual mill and with conversational programming, but the thing is nearly worthless when it comes to loading programs into it due to the fact that it still uses floppy disks. Yes, I have tried to install a USB reader into the floppy port, but I could not get mine to work for some reason. As someone else mentioned, if you find a good mill with an old A.G.E. system on it, plan on upgrading. Once I get time, I plan to install a 3rd axis on mine with a Centroid control.

Programming g-code manually, in my opinion, is a slog. Yes, it can be done, and I have done it, but no thanks. Keep in mind that conversational programming is different than g-coding.

Also, be aware that if you buy a current model (used) of an industrial machine, such as a ProtoTrak, any parts that you may need will come at commercial prices. Just for giggles, I asked how much it would be to upgrade my monochrome screen to a color screen... $1500 bucks. And, that is just the screen.

Many folks have converted knee and bed mills to CNC, utilizing high-quality parts for far less than buying prebuilt commercial models. Yes, it will be a learning curve and take time.

There is a manual Bridgeport out here I was just going to grab since its around $1500. Not a variable speed if that matters. Maybe just adds to the complexity of CNC conversion.

I did watch a Dr flo video on converting a PM to CNC but it seemed like coolant recycling would be an issue. These CNC specific knee mills are they really just manual mills with servos and a controller? I did see that like the v2xt has a coolant reservoir built into the casting

Last edited:
IMHO, CNC lite and Plus is cripple ware. Features you end up needing are disabled. The company goal here is to sell cheap to get you started, then have you pay more to upgrade to CNC Pro.
Like a subscription or a pay to unlock feature thing like a tesla battery?

Flood coolant is a PITA unless you use it often. It evaporates and can go rancid (I have not had that happen yet).
There has been a lot of success stories with mist coolant.

Tormachs don't skip steps under any normal circumstances. They just aren't speed demons at settings where they work well. I have never skipped steps on my 770. You will run out of rigidity and horsepower first. And I put closed loop steppers on several years ago that cause an estop if steps are missed as unattended crash minimization.

I make small titanium parts with my 770 as well as 17--4 stainless, brass, and aluminum. If you are doing firearms manufacture and need the ability to make good prototype parts in a small space cheaply Tormach works well. Prototyping, small batches, or very limited production runs where speed isn't the issue.

If you are planning on making a lot of steel parts to sell online or larger runs to send to distributors you'll need a slightly larger machine. Maybe a Syil minimum or preferably something in the used Hass $20-30k range. But if you just want decent ability to make a part cnc with a polished easy interface when you need it look for a used Tormach 770 or 1100 around $10k with some tooling and accessories.

Tormachs don't skip steps under any normal circumstances. They just aren't speed demons at settings where they work well. I have never skipped steps on my 770. You will run out of rigidity and horsepower first. And I put closed loop steppers on several years ago that cause an estop if steps are missed as unattended crash minimization.

I make small titanium parts with my 770 as well as 17--4 stainless, brass, and aluminum. If you are doing firearms manufacture and need the ability to make good prototype parts in a small space cheaply Tormach works well. Prototyping, small batches, or very limited production runs where speed isn't the issue.

If you are planning on making a lot of steel parts to sell online or larger runs to send to distributors you'll need a slightly larger machine. Maybe a Syil minimum or preferably something in the used Hass $20-30k range. But if you just want decent ability to make a part cnc with a polished easy interface when you need it look for a used Tormach 770 or 1100 around $10k with some tooling and accessories.
I was figuring this too. idk about buying a 20k machine straight out of the gate.
There's a Series 3 1100 Im waiting on for a guy to get back to me on for around that.

IMHO, CNC lite and Plus is cripple ware. Features you end up needing are disabled. The company goal here is to sell cheap to get you started, then have you pay more to upgrade to CNC Pro.
he got back to me. CNC lite. So I suppose along with the bridgeport the millitronics out

Keep looking I just brokered a sale to one of my customers....Fidal 20x20x40 3 axis cnc coolant tool changer 10 rpm spindle, can test run....he paid 8250.00

Back