Cnc router build

Is this an OK machine for home building? I want to use it to make large molds?

It's going to depend on how big of a mold you are going to make and to what accuracy. I've got one set of plans for a steel unit that are ok, but I'm looking at the Data-Cut plans too. The Data-Cut design uses 80/20 for a lot of the structure and is much more rigid than any of the wood units. It's also not susceptable to humidity or lubricants.

Can I kindly ask to get back on a subject?
@Bill Gruby
This thread is about CNC that I have made. Please start new thread with question what should you buy, thank you.

This is my first finished product. It is a gift for my brothers little boy. His name in cyrilic engraved in beech.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Vukasin.jpg

Hey guys, I would like to share some of my recent works.

In Serbia two biggest football clubs are Red Star ( Црвена Звезда ) and Partizan.

IMG_20140725_180649.jpg

IMG_20141019_134503.jpg

I am not satisfied with paint job. It took me hours to paint it, and when I applied clearcoat, this linden piece went yellow.
IMG_20141024_162557.jpg

IMG_20140725_180649.jpg

IMG_20141019_134503.jpg

IMG_20141024_162557.jpg

Very nice work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been interested in building something similar for a while. (No time/money, etc.) I like your design and judging from the work, it's holding up well. I though you might be able to use aluminum extrusions on the table to stiffen the assembly and add a better method of tying down your work.

In retrospect, what material would you use in place of MDF?

Thank you, both.

Well, I was planning to disassemble machine and make a new one using aluminium, but as you said time/money is a issue. MDF is ok, but maybe not for something serious. Biggest problems so far are adjustment blocks. They are made of some sort of technical plastic but thread on them is pretty weak. This has resulted in loosen up steel bars fall out from adjustment blocks.

Back