CNC router pressure foot

forhire

Registered
Registered
I've been thinking about building a pressure foot for ages. Never could find the time and I wasn't about to buy one. So just before Christmas I picked up some hardware set out to design on based on the commercial version found here: https://store.shopbottools.com/products/cnc-pressure-foot

Today I decided to give it a try on some parts I needed to cut out. Worked absolutely fantastic. This router has never cut so quite! Especially in the +X direction where it would often wine a bit.

I wanted the foot to look factory... I may have over done it this time.

Most of the parts were made on the cnc mill as opposed to the router. I fixtured most of the parts using painters tape and super glue. The advantage of the mill is being able to rigid tap screw holes when needed. I don't totally trust the blue tape but in this case I had to really pry to get the aluminum foot free so my confidence is growing even with flood coolant. The main aluminum foot was tumbled and then anodized. I still need to take it apart and paint the steel bracket. For the test parts on the router today I held the sheet down with three pieces of blue tape, with the foot it was more than enough. Enjoy!

Shopbot Pressure Foot v18.png

IMG_3871.jpeg

IMG_3872.jpeg

IMG_3873.jpeg

IMG_3874.jpeg

IMG_3882.jpeg

IMG_3876.jpeg

IMG_3883.jpeg

IMG_3907.jpg

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
@forhire - thanks for joining the H-M forum membership! I've started following your projects and looking forward to more to come!

forhire

Registered
Registered
I have had an opportunity to use the router with the pressure foot for a few small projects. This morning I tried it out on 1" plywood. I wanted to learn if my air could keep the pocket clear. It was no problem. Full depth of cut pocket with a .125 set over, straight 2 flute router bit. I imagine I could have pushed it a lot harder. Later in the day I also cut some 0.25" UHMW quilting templates. In the past it has been tough to keep UHMW from flapping. Worked perfect. Everything was fixtured with blue painters tape and super glue. Based on my experience I suspect the wood part may have been fine without out the foot but the UHMW definitely benefited from it. The thought that went through my head was why the machine didn't come with the foot from the factory, it worked that well.

The 1" plywood was for a simple CAT50 workstation tool rack. The Haimer 3D indicator has been taking up a pocket in the tool belt for way too long. ;)

IMG_3910.JPG IMG_3911.JPG IMG_3913.JPG IMG_3912.JPG

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock