Colchester lathes and carriage stops.

Well, its a square head gap-bed, apron handwheel on the left. 1996 I think, need to look at the badge again.
Have never been able to find the ‘exact’ owner’s manual, but have a couple that are close.
ee3994e4986cd2535b590ebd953929f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see the tension adjustment knob on the left side of the apron.
You can contact Clausing customer service, give them your serial number and download a PDF of the manual, I think.
No chip pan?

I don't see the tension adjustment knob on the left side of the apron.
You can contact Clausing customer service, give them your serial number and download a PDF of the manual, I think.
No chip pan?

Now that I’m back in the shop this afternoon;
Its actually ‘98 manufacture, 600 group in UK;
cf65c6c9b87d74d51da90aaefd1041b5.jpg

Thanks for the compliment and contact idea, guess I din’t try hard enough ;).
I am quite smitten with it and embarrassed to say what I paid for it!
It is a great machine! Oh, and the chip pan; just not in place at time of pic. Riggers had just set it in shop.
I’m going to reach out to Clausing right now..,

Stan

Stan,
Made in England, is very good news. I was under the assumption when the 600 Group got involved they moved production to Taiwan.
I too have the 7.5 hp power plant. Plenty of power.
I bet you have the apron clutch, surely the later models wouldn’t delete a function like that. The other really cool thing is you can instantly reverse the cross feed and apron direction.

Stan,
I found this video of a tool sales shop with my 15x50 showing the hand wheel on the left side of the apron for the clutch adjustment. I'm wondering if yours is on the right?

Last edited:
Just to chime in I bought that exact 15x50 Colchester brand new for our tool and die shop at work in 1998. Its been an awesome machine. I doubt the newer ones (ugly pastel blue made in China looking 600 group version) are made nearly as well. The only issue has been the oil pump belt getting chewed up by chips that somehow worked their way thru back spindle and behind the cover. They are unholy expensive to replace.
At home I have a small 11” colchester Bantam with the feed kick out feature and it works beautifully. I can run the feed hard into it and it stops instantly. No broken gears etc.

It is a great machine with power to spare! I’m hoping to hear back from Colchester on the manual, but in the meantime I’ll be back in the shop tomorrow and will investigate the apron more thoroughly for a clutch adjustment. One of the manuals I did find referred to a spring loaded adjusting screw on the left side of the apron, though it also pictured the carriage handwheel on the right.
Does the clutch work both for threading and feed?

My 1920 (that's year not model) Springfield has the feed kick out feature. Great for threading and no need for a relief groove. It simply moves the feed lever to the neutral position. Not all the features of the lathes you mention though.:(
Aaron

Ok I dug up the manual for you. Turn out it was 1997 haha.
Heres quick shot of the relevant page from manual.

Good question on the half nut/feed screw disengagement. I know on my 11” Bantam it does NOT disengage half nut. Only trips the feed engage lever.
I have the manuals pdf if you want I can wetransfer them to you.

Last edited:
Ok I dug up the manual for you. Turn out it was 1997 haha.
Heres quick shot of the relevant page from manual.
cf4553d95943fa5f7000220b9f3fc589.jpg

Good question on the half nut/feed screw disengagement. I know on my 11” Bantam it does NOT disengage half nut. Only trips the feed engage lever.
I have the manuals pdf if you want I can wetransfer them to you.
8b58cb6d2c648c79f552ddefa904aef6.jpg

A PDF of the manual would be great! I much appreciate that. I’ll PM you my email.

Really eager to dig deeper into it now.
Thanks!
Stan

Back