Colchester

snoopdog

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter

We had one of those the first place I worked throughout the 80’s. It was a really nice machine.

Cutting oil is my blood.

We had one of those the first place I worked throughout the 80’s. It was a really nice machine.

Cutting oil is my blood.
That series Colchester is in my top two favorites, the other being the Mori Seiki MS850 and its clones.

That series Colchester is in my top two favorites, the other being the Mori Seiki MS850 and its clones.

That was my favorite smaller type lathe. My favorite Mid size lathe was an Okuma 32” it had a 12 foot bed. That was a sweet machine to run.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Plus 1 on the MS850. I run a clone at work. It is a beater but can still hold a dimension
19b0122c0a803828f8e6c8d32bccefa9.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

Plus 1 on the MS850. I run a clone at work. It is a beater but can still hold a dimension
19b0122c0a803828f8e6c8d32bccefa9.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.
Pretty nice "beater".

I love how the floor is labeled "Lathe" to make sure you put it back where it belongs.

Pretty nice "beater".

I love how the floor is labeled "Lathe" to make sure you put it back where it belongs.

Haha. Yes that is 5S. I have to label everything and where it belongs. Even the broom and dust pan. The shop is a cornucopia of yellow stripes and labels. There is even labels that state table.

Cutting oil is my blood.

There's a Moriseki for sale about two hours from here; $4500, though, which is more than I want to spend...and it's probably too big for my space. Same guy has a Pratt & Whitney for a grand less.

Haha. Yes that is 5S. I have to label everything and where it belongs. Even the broom and dust pan. The shop is a cornucopia of yellow stripes and labels. There is even labels that state table.

Cutting oil is my blood.
A place for everything and everything in its place. Following Sheldon's lead, even my label maker is labeled.

There's a Moriseki for sale about two hours from here; $4500, though, which is more than I want to spend...and it's probably too big for my space. Same guy has a Pratt & Whitney for a grand less.
I would have no problem chosing between the two, even if I had to move a wall. That price is about as low as you'll find them.

Last edited:
Back