Collet chuck use

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I need to make a simple collar. ID is .625, OD is 1", total length about 1".
I'm wondering if I can just cut a piece of stock maybe 1.125", put it in my 5C collet chuck, face it off, bore it to size, remove it, flip it end for end and face the other end.
My lathe spindle ID is 29/32" which prevents me from putting a longer length of stock through the spindle.

Depends entirely on what kind of precision you need, and on what kind of runout you have in the collet chuck and collet.

On the other hand, this could be done in a 3-jaw with so little stickout and a careful parting off operation.

Thanks @benmychree and @Mitch Alsup
This is definitely a low precision job. The collar is just a back-up retaining device so the OD (and the ID to a degree) is non-critical.

You can often do facing as a second op without too much trouble, depends on the size of the part and the usage
I often do that since my lathe is so terrible, I avoid parting off with it
-Mark

I forgot to mention that my collet chuck has 3 tenths runout.

Your part will be as accurate as your spindle runout. The face cut when you flip it will be affected by the 3-10's runout. Seems irrelevant given it's a low precision job. I guess one could scrape in the face cut but why?

I've found, with my ER40 lathe chuck, (the taper is a .0002) If I tighten a piece in the collet and check it an inch away, sometimes it will have a .001 runout. An indicator and a tap with a hammer and punch will generally bring it in, a bit more tightening and it's good to go. IF you want accuracy.

Back