Collet closer for my GHB 1340A Jet lathe

PatMiles

Active User
Registered
I'm toying with the idea of buying a collet closer for my Jet GHB1340A lathe. Any of you folks have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Pat

Hi Pat. Its a matter of what your considering this collet closer for. Collets give a high rate of repeatability and accuracy. Fine for production work. What collets lack is versatility. If you are a hobbyist my best guess is that you 3 jaw and 4 jaw (chucks) not to mention turning on centers, and mounting work on a face plate, may fill your needs well. I have a good old reliable Jet 1340 PBD and I have collet closer and many collets for it. I have made many parts on this lathe. Many for myself and some for others, and have used collets seldom. Mostly because, most of what I do is one of work. So if you have a run widgets being turned from a rod of stock, a collet closer may be just the ticket. Otherwise for one of work maybe not. Just my thoughts hope it helps.

Rick

I think they are good for any work really. But if most of your work does not fit collets, it will become a pain to use. If you could make a draw bar for a collet block that fit in your chuck it might not be so bad

thanks for the feedback gents. I have no particular need for one except the fact that when I need one, I need one.

Here is my solution for colletts. The small handle one I bought off ebay thinking I would have to modify it for my 12x36 lathe, but it fit and I used it for about a year. I stripped the threads out on it and made the large handle one, used it for for about a year till I stripped the threads on it. That's when I built the replaceable end that is on it now. My intention was to build the replaceable in 0-1 and heat treat, but the one on it is 1144 and is going good so far. The handle is a driven clutch sheave from a snowmobile so pretty light weight yet large enough to get a good tightening on the collet, there is a trust style bearing on it also. I also went with thinner tubing on my home built one so 1" stock would fit through it.
CIMG2208.JPG

CIMG2208.JPG

Back