Collet for 3-jaw?

VicHobbyGuy

Registered
Registered
I was watching this video about making a tap holder:

At 11:48 in the video, the maker puts a collet into the 3-jaw, so machining can continue without damaged the knurled barrel.
collet for 3-jaw.JPG

What are these called? It looks like it could be useful to hold pieces that are too large for my ER collets. I'd appreciate any info- name, sources, experiences, etc. . Thanks.

He's probably cheating- collets are normally not used that way, but a collet with a very mild taper could be chucked up and tapped till
the workpiece runs fairly true.
In a pinch

Brass (or aluminum) shims work ok too. Works for all sizes, unlike a collet.

Brass (or aluminum) shims work ok too. Works for all sizes, unlike a collet.
Thanks. That's what I use - aluminum flashing or copper. That use of a collet in the video just caught my eye, but with the high price of anything related to machining, I'd be unlikely to buy more collets when thin metal seems to work.

Thanks. That's what I use - aluminum flashing or copper. That use of a collet in the video just caught my eye, but with the high price of anything related to machining, I'd be unlikely to buy more collets when thin metal seems to work.
Many of us have appropriate shim material waiting in our recycle bins....

:beer mugs:

John

Could be easily done with 5c collets. I see no advantage unless you don't have a collet closer setup (in which case you probably don't have collets) or you just want to do something quick and dirty without removing the 3-jaw.

I have no idea why you would purposly do some of the things I saw in that video.

Dont get me wrong, Ill be making one of these for home for use in my Prazi, a miniature version, so thanks for posting.

But he did beautiful work using methods that you would find in a shop that had limited tooling, ham fisted operators or both.

And all of that beautiful machining with extremely nice finishes only to use a threaded cap screw shank to take the torque? That is going to mar the hell out of that slot. A shoulder bolt with a spot faced seat would have been a great solution there.

iu

That's what I do, be aware the run-out goes up to around .002" on up. You can put work in 5c collet in the block and easily move from lathe to the mill vise.

Better yet, one of these lets you do a repeatable setup without removing it from the chuck.

There's even one for sale in the classifieds.;)

Back