Collet vs holder run out

If you know what I can expect from an endmill holder then don't stop. Lol!
No thanks. I'm not interested in making suggestions that are dismissed out of hand without any expression of appreciation. I recommend you buy the tooling and instruments required to do your own tests.

No thanks. I'm not interested in making suggestions that are dismissed out of hand without any expression of appreciation. I recommend you buy the tooling and instruments required to do your own tests.

Not worth arguing....

Last edited:
I ordered two Shars r8 endmill holders that promise 0.0004" runout and I'm looking at two er16 collet chucks with r8 shank that promise 0.0002" run out. At $80 each for the collet chuck they will get returned if they don't live up to the guarantee.

My PM835S spindle shows barely a wiggle on the tenths indicator so I know its right.

I use Sowa Arbors and face mill holders, I find them to be very well made and accurate. I purchase them through Suncoast Precision Tools. Below is the Sowa R8 Arbor for my 4" face mill, the end mill holders are also very nice.

20180528_215650.jpg

I was considering buying some endmill holders to install some of my more used endmills and a couple holders for an edge finder and tap guide.

I only have a few end mill holders. I checked a 3/4" Shars endmill holder I turned down for my annular cutter and it had exactly 0.001" of run out.

I really only want 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2. I end up doing more hogging with smaller endmills than larger anyway.

I checked a 3/8" R8 collet with a carbide endmill and I had 0.0004". I knew the collet would be more accurate but how accurate do I really need?

Assuming a decent quality, what is the practical accuracy limitation on an R8 endmill holder?

My personal opinion (for R8 end mill holder or 5C collet) is that I can live with .001” TIR, & I would be very happy to work with .0004”.

Consider looking at TMX or Bison products. I think you will end up with about .0006” TIR. Personally, I will not spend money on Chinese tooling. I bought a lot of Shars tooling, & I regret 95+% of the purchases.

I ordered an Iscar r8 - er16 collet chuck. I'll probably buy one of the less expensive Sowa collet chucks next pay just to see the difference. I might buy a second set of er16 collets eventually.

It will be nice to set up my endmills or drills ahead of time for repeat operations.

I'd love to figure out the tool z settings on my dro. I can set up a longer tool with the absolute setting with the quill up, then use the quill to touch off a shorter tool and zero the separate quill dro. That covers two tools.

The iscar er16 collet chuck runs out 0.00015" with no collet. I'm using I-carbide ultra precision collets. If I just snug up a tool it will come out at 0.0005". If I lightly tap the tool I can easily get to 0.0002" or less. There is something about er16 collets that seems to allow some settling of the collet with a couple well placed taps.

Back