Colt- Navy or Army?

Neil74

Active User
Registered
I have spent the better part of two days researching on the net and am more confused than when I started. I was given what I am assuming is an Italian reproduction of an 1851 Colt Navy. The markings on the firearm are (1) Black Powder Only on the right hand side of the hexagonal barrel. (2) 1851 OLD MODEL .44 CALIBER ARMY REVOLVER on the top of the Barrel. (3)MADE IN ITALY on the left side of barrel.(4)On the cylinder there is an R and then R 294 stamped. When I remove the barrel and cylinder there is the number 70 stamped in end of barrel and also on end of pin the cylinder sets on. So far I have not been able to remove the trigger guard because the screw holding flat spring inside the grip will not budge. Any ideas to this fire arms builder or age? Any help will be much appreciated as my mind is ready to explode:)

I am guessing it is either a Pietta or an Umberti as they are the most prolific of the replica makers.

I have an 1851 Navy, and as you can see at the Uberti site the difference is mainly in the portion of the pistol forward of the cylinder:

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/army-navy-and-pocket-navy.php

Check traditions here:

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/category/Black-Powder

and see if any of them match up to what you have.

Midway also has them for sale.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?newcategorydimensionid=13570

My pistol doesnt have any of the markings you mentioned, but I can send you some pics of it if you would like.

Ben

Thanks Ben, from looking at the sites you sent me mine looks most like a Traditions. I have sent my message to Pietta and Uberti sites and hope they recognize the markings. The hammer looks damaged on this one, from being dry fired onto the nipples. There are also nipples between the percussion cap ones and the hammer does not engage them to lock the cylinder from turning.First I need to know who made this one, so I know where to look for parts and problems.

I think traditions sells pietta's under their name so I would head more in their direction n

I believe you are right Ben,after some good cleaning last night I found Pietta's stamp two stars with PN under them on the cylinder. Maybe more will be found as I clean and then refinish it. I also found a video or two on you tube:) They showed how to reshape and finish the grip and frame to more closely resemble an original Colt Navy, one reason I didn't believe it to be a pietta was the distinctive bell shape was missing. The hammer is also fine, it was altered by filling the groove that locks it to the pins between the nipples, evidently they do this change and then just load 5 rounds instead of 6 and leave the hammer on an empty chamber. I sometimes wonder how I ever got along without You Tube and E-Bay at my disposal, I found where to look for the proof mark on the cylinder from a cylinder that was for sale on e-bay.

That is great to hear that you are on your way!! I also dont know how I did it before the internet was around. It is easy to take for granted when you dont think about how tough it used to be. I am glad to hear that they hammer is ok and you are well on your way to getting her fixed up.

Back