Comfortable Working Height

RebelJD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello, I'm new to forum and soon to be an owner of a PM-932M. According to the specs the working height of the table with the stand will be about 31". This seems a little low to me but would like the opinion of owners with some experience. I did order the Leveling pads but do these add any height? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

Yes, it will need to be taller. Look at this thread (post 8) for what I did.

In days past, and in Asia, folks were and are shorter, today it makes for much more comfortable working to raise machines to a height that makes for comfort, that is not having to bend over to operate a machine, the use of "duck boards" or floor pads adds to the need.

My PM stand for my 727 is 27" tall. I would like it to be 8-9" taller. I'm 6"1".

The top of my G0755 table is 37", I have been just dealing with it at that height. I have leveling castors under the stand, and I'm 6'2"

Elbow height is a good starting point for the spindle of a lathe. I set my lathe's spindle centerline at elbow height & it's been comfortable for me. Not too high where I might have trouble looking down on the work piece & not too low where I find myself breaking my back from bending over so much if working for long periods of time. Some people like the carriage hand controls to be elbow height but that's too high for me.

I don't have a knee mill, I set my PM45 (predecessor to the PM932) table height at elbow height also, well it's slightly below so the vise is right about elbow height. It's been comfortable for me. Had to make a riser in order to do that though.

FWIW my mill table height is at 41" off the ground & I'm 5'7". When I built the mobile stand for my belt sander the table height magically ended up at 41" also & that worked out to be the perfect height for me too. I start off with the elbow height rule most of time for working height on things & then adjust from there if needed.

20210513_211920.jpg

I'm 5' 10" and I make all my working surfaces 39" high. That works out for me. Anything lower and my entire spine complains.

Thanks everyone, it confirms my thinking. I tend to go with the elbow rule too. I'm 5-10 and my workbench is 41" which I've always found to a comfortable height. My bandsaw and other tools are about that height also. I've got some heavy square tubing that will work well for building a riser. According to Precision Mathews my mill is delayed a bit so I have some time to fabricate it. Thanks again, I'm looking forward to seeking advice from the forum from time to time.
Jim

At 6’ 3”, I could use an extra foot of height for the Takisawa. It’s already raised 4”, as is the Bridgeport...the mill is pretty acceptable at that height.

Back