Commercial fishing pole holders for trolling

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have been asked to make 10 heavy duty 316 SS pole holders. 10 each 4"x4" 3/16 plates, 11/4" SS pipe, 1"x1/4" flat stock to keep the butt from spinning at the bottom. Weekend warriors, and charter boats do not use real heavy drag, and have lighter line on the reels. Commercial boats have 180-200+LB test on the reels, and keep the drags really tight, no IGFA stuff :)
I personally have broken pins, and ripped the pole holder tubes off of the mounts, so these are the in thing. Next is the welding which I dread, my TIG is not so nice. The Rose index worked well flipping the pipe for notching.

Off and running, nice and clean. Now for that tig..........

Look nice! I made some similar detachable holders for my boat years ago with T6 Aluminum plates and holders with bottom plates. Thumb wheel bolts held them on when in use. Was necessary because my rear canvas [when closed up in the slip or on overnight excursions] snapped on to low to clear any permanent holder setup. Good luck with the TIG work.

Well done. You may want to drill a 1/4" hole on the bottom of the tube just above the plate as a weep hole to drain any water that might get in the tube. When I was doing similar installs on boats, when through bolting through the deck I would use a metal backing plate on the interior side to prevent pullout and to distribute the forces. When I was 19, my dad and I built a 47' ketch sailboat from the ground up, learned a lot from that experienced, I sailed the south pacific for a couple of months and then went back for medical school. They continued to live on the boat for many years.

Prints_038.JPG

Well done. You may want to drill a 1/4" hole on the bottom of the tube just above the plate as a weep hole to drain any water that might get in the tube. When I was doing similar installs on boats, when through bolting through the deck I would use a metal backing plate on the interior side to prevent pullout and to distribute the forces. When I was 19, my dad and I built a 47' ketch sailboat from the ground up, learned a lot from that experienced, I sailed the south pacific for a couple of months and then went back for medical school. They continued to live on the boat for many years.

View attachment 438388
Very nice, Mark. Which one's you in the photo?

That was then when I actually had hair on my head and was skinny, have had the beard since I was 15. Back in those days there was very few things that were fabricated, I did most of the woodwork, everything exposed was Teak, interior was Mahogany and Koa. All the deck fittings were through bolted, we used 3M sealant which was tenacious and never had any leaks or failures. No GPS back then, only communications was SSB and radio telephone. Everything was fabricated, most of the sailing was done with a wind vane steering system, although we had an electronic-mechanical hydraulic system it consumed too much power (no solar cells back then).
Slides_02_002.JPG

Building a boat, THAT is an accomplishment all in it's self. :encourage:
Polishing the holders was not requested, thank goodness. The welds will be interrupted for the plate, and tube so it will drain, and the backing will be up to him. The 3/16x4" flat stock landed to me is 23.00 a foot now, the stock I had on hand was 18.00.

Good thing you put the flat stock across the bottom, when I was reeling in a 50 lb yellow fin it was a pain with the rod spinning in the holder on the seat, sharks got 3 1/2 that day

Attachments

• E0E91C8D-5881-4FEB-B33D-7DBF7A6383B7.jpeg
    E0E91C8D-5881-4FEB-B33D-7DBF7A6383B7.jpeg
    284.8 KB · Views: 18
Back