Common endmill shanks & roughing endmills

You mention 1/2 or 3/4 shanks; 5/8 shank size is also standard. I can't comment on your particular machine's capabilities, and not familiar with it.

Have you thought of trying one of those high helix endmills designed for aluminum

I picked up a pair of 3/8 high helix endmills on ebay for 15 bucks and while I haven't used them a ton from what I have they work pretty good

I saw them in the catalogue, but figured I'd start simple. Good to know!

The next set I wouldn't mind getting is a ball-end endmill and outer rounding bit, for inner and outer radiusing.

That's a great point. Already bought the endmill holder, though. :) In future will keep that in mind.

Update on this, for future googlers. The 3/8 4-flute roughing endmill will take 0.125cm horizontal facing cuts in mild steel quite nicely (using motor oil as lubricant/coolant) - feed rate of "slow" and spindle RPM of "just past half". :D

At the same feed/spindle speeds, I can take ~3/8" deep vertical facing cuts of 0.050cm without issue, although you'd definitely want a cleanup pass with a normal endmill (not awful finish, but for sure needs a cleanup pass).

Haven't tried the 2-flute roughing endmill yet.

Back