Compact bender ?

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anybody got one like this? I’m seriously jones’n for one as I’d like to do some ornamental and other bending.
1684695482045.jpeg

I have the "Shop Outfitters" 20/20 Compact Bender - which I think is the original of the design shown. Made in the USA, at least when I bought it. Just checked and it looks like they no longer have it (they have a much fancier version now). Anyway, it's been great. I don't do ornamental work, but I've quickly bent lots of latches, brackets, hooks, and even some tubing on mine.

GsT

what did you do to make it bend tubing?

I have one from the late 80's, very handy. I have made dies for small tubing out of aluminum. Turn a round die at the CLR you need and pin coped followers on the arms, similar to a Hossfeld bender setup.

Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 4.06.56 PM.png

I have one exactly like that. Works great.
I bolt it to the floor of my shop when I use it.

I bent square tubing, so I have a square tubing die. I bought the one shown to use as a pattern for other sizes. Shop Outfitters also sold a "leverage multiplier" that worked along a 'tail' on the tool (the one you pictured doesn't have the 'tail'). If a picture is worth 1000 words, I'll save myself some typing... Here's the leverage multiplier, and a semi-closeup of the die.

Attachments

• bender.jpg
    bender.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 29
  • sqdie.jpg
    sqdie.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 29
what kind of stuff have you done with yours David?

Just light bending of stock to make brackets and hooks from 1/4” stock. It’s a bit overkill for that but it makes a nicer bend without tool marks that come from hammering in a vise.

I have some 1/2" steel rod I'd like to bend in a tight shape that I don't think anything but this type of bender can do. The price on this is like $120 which is so cheap I can't make it for that. Sad that there are two on CL, one for $50, one for $60 but 5+hrs away on the other side of LA. Might as well be on the moon. :(

Back