Complete Beginner Help

daddiosquared

Registered
Registered
I'll keep the short as I can I need to make some parts on an on going basis. In many cases the same part over and over. Likely 20 times in a row when I need them. I know nothing about machining, in fact it is my intent to hire someone to do this work but I will need to buy the machine or machines before they come to help me. I have included pictures of the parts I will need to make below. I have had someone else make them for me in the past. Tight budget it an understatement but I also want to get a machine that will do the work and do it fairly quickly. I'd love advice on what type of machine(s) I need and some older used ones that will do the job that I might find on a budget. Thanks for the help! I should mention I have a CNC Plasma cutter already.

IMG_1880.JPG IMG_2147.JPG

from what i can see, punch and dies and then to a fairly large capacity press would be required. but without seeing the back side of the parts, its sorta a crap shoot. . . .
how did the last guy make them ?

from what i can see, punch and dies and then to a fairly large capacity press would be required. but without seeing the back side of the parts, its sorta a crap shoot. . . .
how did the last guy make them ?
I believe they used a CNC plasma cutter to cut the shape then machined the inset with a mill I believe. On the top part. On the bottom part I'm not sure but I think a Lathe.

Given that you are anticipating 20 piece runs, CNC plasma cutting the blank is proabaly the best way to do that since you already have a CNC plasma. A manual lathe and a drill press would finish it off. Keep in mind the a plasma cutter will leave a hard edge at the cut line, so this needs to be considered for subsequent operations.

The other part would be easy to make on a manual lathe. It could also be done easily on a CNC mill.

The dimensional tolerance also might dictate the machines used. If you need high accuracy, then finishing or doing all of the machining on a CNC mill might be more appropriate.

It would be helpful for us to understand your budget constraints, material, and dimensional tolerances for this project.

The top part can be plasma cut to shape, center hole and recess done in a lathe and holes done in a drill press with a drill jig.
The bottom part looks like all lathe.

This is going by what I can see since the back sides are not shown.

Back