Completely OT. Jobs

Depending on where you are in the process with #4 you could tell them that you have an offer but that you’d really like to work for them. They might move things along more quickly if they realize they’ll lose you otherwise. Of course they might just wish you luck but then the suspense will be over.

Best of luck! I just went through a job change myself and I’m starting the new one on Monday.

Be completely mercenary in your decision. The days of loyalty to a company had a lot to do with pension plans. It's pretty rare to find a pension (or even healthcare) outside of govenrment work, so look out for yourself. It's taken me 30 years to adjust to the new normal. I really thought my first employer would be the only place I worked, lo these many years ago. These days? Always be looking, always take the 'better' offer ('better' being what you decide it is - pay, compensation, commute, etc...). You don't owe any of these companies any more than an honest days work for an honest days wage. I guarantee you that if the company can do better than you - they will. So why would you pass up an opportunity to do better for yourself than they will?

I don't mean that you should spit on them, or in any way shun an existing employer - just that if you can do better elsewhere, it behooves you to do so.

GsT

Be completely mercenary in your decision.
When I got laid off from a job a number of years ago, the company paid for outplacement services. The guy teaching the class said exactly that to us, think of yourself as a consultant working full time for the employer and not an employee, don't hesitate to take something better because the company won't hesitate to find someone better than you if they wanted to. It was eye opening to hear, but when you think about it, 100% true.

I just thought of something else he said that is appropriate to this discussion, when you are unemployed, take whatever you can, but keep looking and don't hesitate to move on to something better. His reasoning was an employer is more likely to consider you if you already have a job, and they know they need to pay better to get you to make the move than if you are unemployed and might take any offer.

I just thought of something else he said that is appropriate to this discussion, when you are unemployed, take whatever you can, but keep looking and don't hesitate to move on to something better. His reasoning was an employer is more likely to consider you if you already have a job, and they know they need to pay better to get you to make the move than if you are unemployed and might take any offer.
That's how I've been approaching things. I've applied for a few jobs knowing that if I accepted them I would keep looking.
The one I accepted is good enough to keep me from looking.

My buddy announced his retirement and he was immediately offered 2x his salary which he declined, they came back at 3x and he still declined. The men in the family have serious health issues and at 60 he said he would like at least 10 years before hitting the grass. This also showed that he was severely underpaid at this place, he had told me years ago others at other sites were getting higher rates.
Management will always say that “you are replaceable in one phone call” well we offer our services and we can take them back. Pay yourself first and prepare for retirement as you can not depend on others paying for your retirement.

One of the first guys I ever worked for was kind enough to tell me that my job was to sell my skills to the highest bidder. It's called capitalism.
I've made the mistake of getting underpaid at places for too long, because of being afraid of what might happen in the switch. But, once I truly took his advice, and looked at my bi-weekly retention check as just that, my career took off.

If you've told someone that you accept a job, you've just told them that you'll date until the next one comes along. That is now the social contract, regardless of how some may deny it. As stated by other, been that way since the '80s.

my bi-weekly retention check
*That* is how you should look at it. Every payday your employer tells you what they think you're worth. If you can find someone who thinks you're worth more...

GsT

Some people can do that. Other people develop loyalty (which maybe they shouldn't).
Yesterday I ran into my old supervisor and we had a great chat like time had never passed. He was my supervisor, yes, but he was also a friend. I only left the company because it couldn't keep up with the great recession. Found out the owner, his brother, died last year. He was 62.
But they are the exception, not the rule. Although there's only been 2 jobs in my life where I held animosity for leaving. One was fast food and that owner went bankrupt and died before he was 50. The other made him look like a prince.

FWIW, I was just told the job I wanted isn't going to be an option. It is what it is. I'm a little bummed but, well, they gotta do what they gotta do.
So, job #2 is still where I'm headed.

At this point you don't owe any of them anything.
If you start working for someone then you do.
To me it sounds like your skills are in demand.
So don't sell yourself cheap.
And unless you are starving there is no need to take the first job that comes along.
Politely tell the first company you can't start as planned because of personal reasons.
I disagree, be straight with them. No need to tell them personal reasons. They might appreciate knowing the real reason.

I was frank with them.
I said that another company that I had previously applied with had presented a very competitive offer and for that reason I would not be starting with their company as planned.
They took it well. (They actually had undercut me on my requested wage so it probably wasn't a shock)

Back