[4]

Complex Machine Drilling & Milling model Comet -30

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

gary.talbert

Swarf
Registered
This machine looks identical to a Jet 16, and even came with the same vise shown on the 16 manual. I can't find any information on line about it. From what I have found it looks the same as a RF 30 and an Enco 30. I'm just looking for what tooling it takes. Made in Taiwan, and I found it new in a warehouse. It's never even been wired up, cosmoline still on it. Any help would be appreciated.

yendor

Active User
Registered
It's most likely an R-8 Spindle.
If it was in a New still in crate there should have been at least a Drill Chuck with it.
That would tell you what spindle it has.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Oh that is going to require some pictures for sure. Nice score!

gary.talbert

Swarf
Registered
The crate had long been tore up, but there is a 3 inch surfacing bit in it. I am so new at this that I couldn't tell you the difference between a R8 collet, or a MT 3 or anything else. The only machining I have done were on other peoples equipment and I never thought to ask what the tooling was.

gary.talbert

Swarf
Registered
I did buy it for $200 dollars so I figure if I have to spend a bit on tooling it's still a good deal.

D

Deleted member 20190

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
First, welcome to H-M! It's always great to see new people here.

You got a good find at a great price! If you can get a photo of the face mill while it is removed from the spindle and post it here, we could tell you in a hurry what it is. Like yendor said, it is probably R-8.

To save you a step, I have included a photo of a 2" end mill with an R8 arbor. You can simply compare to it.

Shars R8 face mill.jpg

Many thanks to Shars Tool for the use of the photo. My old mills don't use R8 tooling, so I had to borrow a photo from someone else.

gary.talbert

Swarf
Registered
Thank you.. It will probably be Monday before I can look at it. I'll let you know what I find and add some pics.

gary.talbert

Swarf
Registered
Forgot to add it has a 2hp motor.

dtsh

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
They have their weaknesses, but so long as you understand it's limitations you can do a lot with them and work around some of the shortcomings to do mre difficult tasks. For what you paid, I'd say you got a good deal.
I've got a similar model and I'm quite happy with it, sure wish mine had cost me $200!

D

Deleted member 20190

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
We can't tell for certain what spindle it's got from the photo, but once you are able to remove the tool from the spindle, we'll be able to tell what it is.

kvt

Active User
That sure looks like a variant of the RF30, I have the Enco30
I think there is a book manual for it somewhere on the site.
if like mine you will need a wrench for the nut on the draw bar and if lucky you will be able to hold the pulley to take it loose.

Oh welcome to the site.

yendor

Active User
Registered
Yes - an RF-30 Manual will be 99% correct for that machine.
Really close to mine which is a Jet 16 I'm using an RF 30 Manual and so far no surprises.

Open the Top Cover -> Loosen up the draw bar about 2 turns -> give it a whack on the top to jar the tool loose but not fall out.
Then back off the draw bar until the tool comes out the bottom.
And show us a picture.

gary.talbert

Swarf
Registered
The tool came out easily after I loosened it and gave it a small whack. I'll send pics on Monday.

Buffalo21

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
my 1986 Central Machinery model #981 mill/drill (Harbor Freight) looks identical

[6]
[5] [7]