Compound eliminating riser for lathe?

Chip Monkey

Registered
Registered
Anyone know of a commercially available block/spacer? It's for my LMS 7350 but I can't seem to find anything in their catalog.

Thanks up front if you know anything!

Anyone know of a commercially available block/spacer? It's for my LMS 7350 but I can't seem to find anything in their catalog.

Thanks up front if you know anything!
Couldn't find something commercially available. Bought a hunk of steel on Ebay. Cut it to size. Drilled 4 holes for bolts for T-nuts and tapped one for the tool post. Done

I bought a couple pieces of steel off Etsy , one I mounted a small vise to, the other, I drilled and tapped for QR tool holder.

You wont find anything that you can buy off the shelf as the configuration varies greatly from lathe to lathe , also dependent on type of tool post used. I just bought some steel plates off ebay , welded together and the rest is just simple machining (on a mill). Im using a Bostar BXA on both my oem Grizzly compound, and my home fabbed cross slide riser. Much better turning behavior using my riser.

IMG_20221113_111409396.jpg

IMG_20221113_111120615.jpg

And machined a beefy boring bar holder that bolts to my riser.

IMG_20221113_111944130.jpg

Appreciate the input. I have the means to make one, but I don't currently have a usable chunk of steel or iron on hand... Asked in the first place because I bet if there was something commercially available it would be cheaper than getting fresh raw material to my doorstep, sad as that is.

This guy might have something that works for you. Don't know if he will ship it.

This guy might have something that works for you. Don't know if he will ship it.

Great pricing on his material.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Appreciate the input. I have the means to make one, but I don't currently have a usable chunk of steel or iron on hand... Asked in the first place because I bet if there was something commercially available it would be cheaper than getting fresh raw material to my doorstep, sad as that is.
Do you have a local scrap yard ?
Might be able to find some bar stock scraps to fit your need .

As an alternative to a local scrap yard, you might also try a local independent welding shop. They always have end cuts and scrap pieces that are ideal for small projects - both flat stock and round stock. And, even though prices are way up, in my case, they're one step removed from free for the small stuff. I get almost all my small chunks of CRS from such a shop in my town.

The smaller the shop and the more independent they are, the more likely they are to gladly make a dollar or two on a small chunk. Win-win.

Regards

Back