Compound gear spacing

Jmanb13

Registered
Registered
I am adapting a change gear setup to fit my 1946 Leblond. In the picture below I am mocking up the fitment of the gears so that I can create some spacers to align the gears properly.

My question revolves around the compound gears and the spacing of the 2 gears that actually run next to each other. As you can see in the picture below the hub of the bottom gear is slightly longer leaving a small gap.

Should I leave the gap so that the gears do not rub on their sides or turn down the hub so that they are closer together? I haven't measured it but the gap is around 3/32 to 1/8". The gears are 1/2 wide.

full

I am adapting a change gear setup to fit my 1946 Leblond. In the picture below I am mocking up the fitment of the gears so that I can create some spacers to align the gears properly.

My question revolves around the compound gears and the spacing of the 2 gears that actually run next to each other. As you can see in the picture below the hub of the bottom gear is slightly longer leaving a small gap.

Should I leave the gap so that the gears do not rub on their sides or turn down the hub so that they are closer together? I haven't measured it but the gap is around 3/32 to 1/8". The gears are 1/2 wide.

full
The two middle gears should be locked together through a keyed bushing so there is no relative rotation. They look like the transposing gears that are used to convert from Imperial to metric threading. Usually 127 teeth on the larger and 120 teeth on the smaller. gear. A small side gap between the bottom gear and the larger middle gear would be desirable. It could be as small as .02".

They are transposing gears. A 120/127 set locked together with a keyed bushing. Not many 14 pitch gears around any more so I'm converting to 16 pitch and adding the ability to cut metric threads at the same time. I purchased off the shelf boston gears and I'm modifying them to fit.

From your information it seems the gap is probably a little large and I should face down the hub until the gap is a little bit smaller.

Back