[How-To] Compound Gib adjustment problems

mel g

Registered
Registered
leblond 13 regal trainer, 1943

Problem: when i turn, the compound is not held tightly, and the cutting tool is not held firmly enough. Depending on what i'm cutting, the tool wobbles back and forth.

So i tightened the compound gib,which decreases the wobble. But then the compound becomes hard to move. The handle does turn, and compound does move, but with difficulty.

Any suggestions?

Hi Mel, so you need to find a balance between too tight and just tight enough, it can take a bit of time, but there is a happy medium.
There is probably some wear also which increases the difficulty. Try disassembing the compound and grease the sliding parts
-Mark

Also measure the gib thickness of both the compound gib and the cross slide gib at at least 6 points. The thickness should be the same at every point.

Don't grease it, use oil only . Never put grease on lathe sliding parts, grease attracts swarf and can cause a lot of damage

thank you to each of the responders, excellent thoughts

straightness: good idea. i sighted along it on all 4 edges, all appear straight.
thickness: both gibs are tapered gradually their entire lengths.
Oil: that's what it's lubed with.

proper balance betw. gib tightness and easy to turn: I particularly noticed this problem in a recent job while using the compound to turn a taper. most of my turning had been using the cross slide and/or lead screw to control tool movement.
I wonder now, thinking back, that the compound may have been quite tight in prior turnings. But since i didn't need to move it much, if at all, then that tightness never bothered me.
If this is the case, perhaps I should adjust the compound gib as tight as i can acceptably tolerate for the job at hand

Deleted,the mini lathe compound slide lock works well but I, m not sure if it would be as effective with the type of compound on your lathe.

Last edited:
Back